Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:12 PM   #1

Default camera with great HD video which one out of these?

Hello I'm looking for a digital camera that shoots great HD video - will be making short films - for under $400.
I want to have zoom while filming, great stabilizer while filming, good battery life and good quality photos when taking pictures but video
is more important to me. I have come down to 3 options and wondering which one would be the best for what I want:
Panasonic Lumix FZ-35
Panasonic Lumix LX5
Sony DSC-HX5V
sebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:34 PM   #2

I would go with the LX5. In indoors videos, there will be a significant difference in quality between the LX5 and the other 2.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:05 PM   #3

I decided I can't go over $300 so Instead of the Panasonic Lumix LX5, I'm adding in a Panasonic Lumix ZS7.

I notice on the Panasonic video clips I find online, there are these purple streaks. Is this only an issue because a low end sd card is used?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 8:57 PM   #4

The cheapest I've seen the LX5 is $389 on sale. The ZS7 I have seen as low as $230 on sale.

The purple streaks are due to the CCD sensor and occur in very bright direct/reflected light.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 6:29 AM   #5

Decided a bit more $ will work so now up to $400 adding some to the mix. Looking for best features that have:
- Great stabilizer when shooting video
- good battery life
- great quality video
- zoom while filming
- good auto focus while filming video

Panasonic Lumix LX5
Panasonic Lumix FZ-35
Sony Cybershot DSC-HX1
Sony DSC-HX5V

Last edited by sebek; Dec 1, 2010 at 6:45 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 12:44 PM   #6

After reading up on these cameras, I'm down to two of them:
Panasonic Lumix LX5 and Lumix FZ100 (added this since it has 1080 video)
I see that the FZ100 has CMOS sensor and LX5 CCD - what does this mean?
Which has better video? LX5 also only has 3.8 zoom
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:25 PM   #7

What caused you to eliminate the Sony HX5V?

I'm in the process of trying out different cameras with video quality being high on my list of preferences. I've tried the Panasonic ZS6, Sony HX5V, and Nikon S8100 and found the HX5V to have the fastest responding auto-focus and auto-exposure of the three. Its low light photos leave quite a bit to be desired, but its video is supreme of the three. I hear a little of the zoom servo motor, but no worse than on the other two.

Another thing that set the HX5V apart for me on the video side of things was that it came with a short adapter for a full-size HDMI cable. Since I always have an HDMI cable coming out the rear of our TV's, it was super-easy to connect the HX5V to the TV and "play" all the pictures and videos (the other cameras didn't even include the videos in their "slideshow" output).

The video of the HX5V is what's making it so difficult for me to return the camera in favor of one with better low-light snapshot performance.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:33 PM   #8

how does it compare to the FZ100? These videos look really good to me and they were shot with the older FZ35:
http://vimeo.com/9214433
http://vimeo.com/17208358
Can you shoot videos that would be better than the above with the HX5V? I also assume since the FZ100 is newer and has 1080, the videos will look even better.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 5:28 PM   #9

I own the HX5V and it was a good decision to eliminate it imho. The video quality is excellent for a pocket cam but the colors are washed out, highlights get badly blown in video (much less so in stills) and the low light video is poor. What's worse however is the sound. The sound on the HX5V is by the far the worst of all 3 cameras that I own (ZS7, HX5V, S95). I posted sound samples here of the ZS7 and HX5V side-by-side awhile back that demonstrate just how bad the HX5V's sound is.

The FZ100 will likely have equally bad videos in low light but I think it's still quality and far and wide above the HX5V.

The LX5 will blow them both away in low light in both stills and video, but it does have a CCD sensor which will give you the streaks when shooting in the direction of bright light sources (sun, spotlights, shiny chrome car bumper, etc).

The Sony HX1 has some strange resolution ... 1440x1080 I think? I very much liked what I saw of this camera otherwise but I personally would prefer not to have my video stretched.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 7:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebek View Post
how does it compare to the FZ100? These videos look really good to me and they were shot with the older FZ35:
http://vimeo.com/9214433
http://vimeo.com/17208358
Can you shoot videos that would be better than the above with the HX5V? I also assume since the FZ100 is newer and has 1080, the videos will look even better.
I haven't shot any video with the HX5V in any settings that could compare with those above - just indoor clips (at night) and some video of driving in the snow when it's snowing and of the kids sledding down a hill in falling snow with a snow-white sky. All I've compared it with so far is the Nikon S8100 and Panasonic ZS6 in similar conditions. The S8100 had 1080p like the HX5V, but the HX5V blows it away when it comes to adjusting for light levels and it also uses AVCHD for smaller file sizes (have to step it down to 720p for MP4 files). The ZS6 also made a lot better-looking video than the S8100, but it maxxes out at 720p.

It's not that I think the HX5V shoots such awesome video (but the 1080p does carry a lot of detail) as much as it seems the video capabilities are the strong point of that camera - especially compared to others in the same form factor. It's not hard to believe the FZ100 would blow away the HX5V for video, but then I'm only looking at pocketable cameras.

I'm not looking at the HX5V for sound, but if I was composing video I probably wouldn't count on it a whole lot for that anyway.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote