Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Nov 30, 2010, 3:48 PM   #1

Default Pocket Camera for a DSLR user

Hi all,

Last year I got a DSLR and have been shooting in manual ever since. HOWEVER, carrying the DSLR around with the toddler is getting to be a bit cumbersome for everyday type stuff. I know I'm asking for the impossible, and have been browsing the forums in search of a good answer, but still am stumped.

I'm looking for:
  • Pocket sized. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 is the absolute largest I would go.
  • Good in low light, since I prefer to shoot a) without a flash and b) a running little boy
  • FAST Shutter speed, did I mention the running little boy? Yeah, he can book it like nothing else.
  • HD video. I have a Flip camera, and if I can ditch that to only have the pocket cam, that'd be fantastic.
I know that the smaller I go, the more noise I'll have in my pictures, and know that I can't get close to what I can do with my Canon XS, but I'd like to try. The S95 is a bit out of my price range, and as far as I've read is not so great with video, right?

Okay experts! Lay 'em on me.
rebbylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:06 PM   #2
Super Moderator

ok first off. you will have to come to terms with the limitations of a small sensor camera.

nothing that fits in your pocket will do well with action shots. the autofocus is not in the same league as a dslr, nor is the ISO performance.

however, some are much better than others.

i really think you will not be happy with anything less than the S95. nothing else that fits in your pocket will come close to that kind of low-light performance without a flash. but yea you don't get AF or optical zoom while recording video with the s95.

if you can live with your flip for video, you could go to the S90 which offers similar still image quality without the video and can be found for a lower price now.

another option : panasoniic lx5 has similar lowlight performance with zoom with better HD video, but it will be quite a bit larger than the zs7.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 4:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
ok first off. you will have to come to terms with the limitations of a small sensor camera.
*sniffle* That's what I figured. I suppose I'll be looking for the best of the worst. How big is the s95 compared to the Zx7? If I accept using the flash, what's going to do the best of capturing action while still having HD video? I don't need the zoom, since I never used it on my Flip, but the flip doesn't have HD, which I'd prefer.
Old Dec 3, 2010, 8:31 AM   #4

OK all, I've narrowed it down to the S95 or the SD4000 - I know that in most cases the S95 is gonna be the best, but this is my most important question:

Which of these two is going to do a better job at capturing moving objects - aka kids?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 2:44 PM   #5

S95 you can adjust flash + or -...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote