Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:42 PM   #11

BA-

As you do not seem to want a camera with AA batteries, The Samsung SL420, the Canon SD-1200, SD-1300, SD-4000, and the Kodak Z950 all use Lithium batteries.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:41 PM   #12

BA:

Actually I'm a little more comfortable with the Z915 being able to handle your macro needs (optically) than anything we've talked about so far. I've used a Kodak Z612 since DEC 2006 and shot close-up/macro with the camera frequently. While the Z915 doesn't have exactly the same lens as the Z612 their close-up characteristics are close enough that I know I could take the photos you want to take without a problem.

The batteries should be a non-issue (except for a little additional $). Buy a couple a rechargeable CV-R3 LiIon batteries (one in camera/one spare) and a matched charger. That, for practical purposes is what I use in my Z612. BestBatt has them for $8.50 ea. and a world wide charger for $18.50, http://www.bestbatt.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=CR-V3 .

The photo of a well used 1/4" shank router bit was done with 1 100w equiv. daylight CFL, a folded paper light tent and the Z612. The light tent was similar to the second photo. The third photo was made with the paper light tent shown. The 4th is again a "technical" shot of 2 KLIC-8000 batteries. Each KLIC-8000 is the size of 2 AAs

The link below has my larger light tent and photos made with it.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ko...ight-tent.html

Sarah - good to hear from you again, hope all is well.

A. C.
Attached Images

Last edited by ac.smith; Dec 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:41 PM   #13

Ok so another question. Give me choices for what I am looking for with the best zoom possible. Keep price in mind.
I think 4x zoom is not enough.
ty once again for all the help.
ba109296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:52 PM   #14

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...o=6&blockType=

?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba109296 View Post
Ok so another question. Give me choices for what I am looking for with the best zoom possible. Keep price in mind.
I think 4x zoom is not enough.
ty once again for all the help.
For my general purposes 10x to 15x in a P&S camera works well. That typically works out 28-35mm (full frame equivalent) on the wide end and 380-480mm at max telephoto. Some will gripe if the wide end doesn't start at 24mm equiv. but I find that 35mm works for me except for room layout type shots in small residential room. My heaviest use of long telephoto has been at the local annual airshow but 400mm equiv. works for that. Birders tend to want 600-1200mm but they're a special breed and willing to haul around enough tripod to make that work. My last P&S was 12x (35-420mm equiv.) & that did almost everything I wanted to do including the closeups posted above. It takes knowledge, skill and practice to effectively use a lens longer than 400-450mm equiv. hand held.

The issue with that Sony is that it doesn't have a variable aperture. The aperture is wide-open all the time and if that's too much light it throws a neutral density filter into the light path. This cuts the light but doesn't allow you to control depth of field or sharpness the way a proper aperture does which is important for your close-up work.

A. C.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:00 PM   #16

I agree with A.C.-

Yes, the W-370 has the price that you want, but certainly not the needed features.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 4:53 PM   #17

So is there any camera with a decent zoom like you mentioned with my paramaters?

Probably going a little up on my price but if I get what I want I can deal with that to a certain point.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 9:54 AM   #18

If there's anyone else out there following this thread and has a suggestion please chime in.

BA:

This my short list of those that I'm sure would meet your needs and be reasonably good general purpose P&S as well for under $300:

Kodak Z915 w/the caveat that you will need to purchase the rechargeable batteries/charger from bestbatt.

Kodak Z950 In the end this would cost very little more than the 915, comes with a rechargeable LiIon battery and adds HD video. I'd still recommend a spare battery and an external charger from either Kodak or bestbatt.

Panasonic ZS5 Comes w/rechargeable battery but again I'd recommend a spare. I have spares for all my cameras because I'll shoot through more than one at an airshow and I just don't feel good unless I have a spare. Has HD vidio

Every Sony I checked lacks an actual a true aperture diaphram which I consider a non-starter for closeup work.

A Nikon S8000 may be suitable as well and includes HD video. The "macro" controls are different from Kodak/Pany but I think they'd work for you.

A. C.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:33 PM   #19

Just did a ton more research and then went to a local best buy to check out cameras.

From what I have seen and from Mt's input the lumix zs5 is a very good camera and the best in this price range so far.

Any others that compare to that one? Any real good deals on that one?

ty again for all the help.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:24 PM   #20

I don't know how much BB is asking for the ZS5 but the ZS7 is $249 on Amazon. It has a dedicated video button, high resolution LCD, it records HD video in AVCHD format, which saves a ton of space and GPS (if you care for it). I think all these upgrades are worth the few extra bucks it may cost you.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote