Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 14, 2010, 9:16 PM   #21

Amazon itself has the ZS5 for $209 and third-party seller Samy's has it for $199:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-...3&sr=8-1-spell
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:21 AM   #22

The zs5 certainly meets your requirements and in general I think most of the Pany P&S cameras will meet your macro requirements. Pick the additional features you want vs. price you want to pay. It's smart actually handling the camera, ergonomics have a lot to do with your ultimate satisfaction with a camera.

After you buy a camera do read the manual and download a copy of the manual from the mfr's web site. It is often easier to find the instructions you need by using Adobe Reader's search function on the PDF version rather searching through the paper manual. I have downloaded dozens of manuals for camera I don't own and will never own just to answer forum questions. I do tend to make it obvious where the answer was found by ref. the page no.

As I mentioned earlier the built in flash will probably not provide the best lighting when your trying to photograph a part for sale and the clutter of a garage or workbench is distracting as well. Improvise a seamless background from white butcher paper, poster board, foam board etc. The trick to making it seamless is to lay the part on paper and then have the paper curve upwards to vertical beyond the part. Same trick except curving downward in front will provide a seamless foreground. Daylight balanced (6500K) CFL lightbulbs in clamp-on reflectors can provide cheap effective lighting.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:48 PM   #23

I went ahead and got the zs5. This thing is SWEEET.

Thanks for all the help.
Attached Images

ba109296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:19 AM   #24

Enjoy your new camera. Next time you have to photograph some auto parts for sale I'd like to see a couple of the photos.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote