Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 1, 2010, 11:40 AM   #1

Default So many choices...

I have been looking for a point and shoot for some time now.
My current camera is a kodak easyshare c875.
There are a few main issues I have with it that I just can't deal with.
1. battery life SUCKS. I can get maybe 5 pictures out of it before it dies. I have tried every kind of battery known to man and they are all the same.
2. no macro feature. I sell alot of car parts that need to have very fine detailed pics and this just doesn't do it for me.

So here is what I am looking for.
-needs to be rechargeable. no more AA batteries
-needs to have a good to great macro feature
-easy on the wallet

I don't want or need alot of bells and whistles. I want to point and shoot.
For the money having more zoom would be nice and also hd video but those are NOT my concerns with the next camera. Price will come before these two options.

I do a TON of research on here and cnet and goole but there are just too many different choices. I need HELP please.

I have looked at the canon sd1300is which seems very nice.
Also thePanasonic lumix DMC ZR3 looks very nice
I need choices, reasons and reviews if possible.
Ty and sorry for the long winded post.
ba109296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2010, 2:00 PM   #2

I don't quite understand your complaints with the c875. It does have a macro mode that should be more the adequate for car parts (I'm assuming you don't mean model car parts.) Based on Steve's review the c875 the 875's battery life is not the greatest but he was able to get 75 shots plus some short videos off of a set 2500mAh NiMH batteries.

Actually if you want to spend $200 or so most of the cameras on the market will meet your requirements. Of the two that you've mentioned the DMC ZR3 is probably the most versatile and has a larger sensor which should yield lower noise. The reviews below indicate better image quality for the ZR3 as well.

You can read Steve's ZR3 review here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...c-dcm-zr3.html

and the sd1300 here: http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...is-review.html

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2010, 4:51 PM   #3

I have read all over the place and have not yet found how to use macro mode on this camera. I am used to the little flower designating macro mode.
I don't know if I got a crappy camera or something but I would need to recharge these batteries numerous times in order to get anywhere near that many pictures. The battery life is truly horrid with this camera.

I am trying to spend under 200. The ds1300 is way under that mark.

The problem is there are so many review places and so many different conclusions.

Any other cameras that shine in the particular areas I am looking for?

And thank you so far.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:54 PM   #4

I'd suggest, to start with, ignoring "user" reviews found on seller's web sites. I find them to be uninformed, biased (for & against) and it has been shown in the past, deliberately skewed even with no ill intent on the seller's part. That rule in place should greatly reduce the number of reviews you have to evaluate. What's left? Digital Photo Review (DPR), Steve's Digicam's and Consumers Reports . There are others that use consistant enough procedures to be of value but these typically are testing only equipment above your price range. DPR does, at times test cameras in your price range but they are fewer and farther between of late. Consumers Reports does test cameras that you would be interested in but their time lag between acquiring the test items and report publication is such that a goodly percentage are discontinued by the time the report is published. Don't just read their ratings, read the report as well to see what their rating criteria is and whether that matches your criteria. Who does that leave? Steve's Digicams of course. While their testing is nowhere as lab oriented as the other two their methods are consistant enough and they test enough equipment to lend weight to their reports. I therefore I strongly suggest you read their full reports on the sd1300, the ZR3 and every other $139-$200 camera they've tested in 2010.

You do have a partial business need for this camera with sales, in part, depending on photographs produced it seems strange you'd quibble on the difference between $130 and $180 with a difference in the quality of the results. Those prices are based on the Amazon and B&H Photo prices for those two cameras. When I suggested a target price of $200 I didn't do a scientific survey but I didn't pull the number entirely out of the air either.

Two other cameras you might look at are the Nikon S570 and the Kodak M580. By the way none of these cameras (or even cameras costing a lot more) will deliver photos I'd go to market with using the built in flash. I'd at least get 2 or 3 clamp on reflectors with 100-200 watt equivalent DAYLIGHT balance CFL bulbs in them and some diffusion material such as mosquito netting.

C875 batteries - this is a quote from DPR's c875 test "We found the C875 to be one of those cameras that's very fussy about which batteries you use and we had real problems with non-rechargeables (alkaline batteries are reported as dead within minutes of putting fresh ones in). Stick to good, 2100mAh or higher NiMH cells for the best performance." C875 macros, yes put the camera in the flower mode and half press the shutter and release to focus the camera, zoom as needed to frame and closer or further away as needed, focus again and if all is well take picture.

My issue with Canon P&S cameras is that most will go into macro only at their widest focal length, which while it can get you very close doesn't yield as much framing and subject spacing versatility as a camera that will zoom while in macro mode. Most Panasonics, Nikons and Kodaks will zoom in the macro mode.

A. C.

Last edited by ac.smith; Dec 2, 2010 at 2:02 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 2:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba109296 View Post
1. battery life SUCKS. I can get maybe 5 pictures out of it before it dies. I have tried every kind of battery known to man and they are all the same.
I think your camera has a problem and it's draining the battery right away (short circuit of some sort). No camera will drain the batteries after 5 shots, no matter how old or how bad it is.

With that said, I used to like cameras which take AA but not anymore. AAs are not good for flash usage. Not only they take a long time to recharge after the flash fires up, but using flash will drain them much quicker. They are heavy and consequently they make the camera heavy. The only advantage is that you can buy them anywhere. However, if you buy a spare proprietary battery and you make sure it's always in the camera bag with the camera and charger, you should be OK. To me, the benefits of prop. batteries outnumber AAs by a mile.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
I think your camera has a problem and it's draining the battery right away (short circuit of some sort). No camera will drain the batteries after 5 shots, no matter how old or how bad it is.
Actually that exactly what DPR said it would do.

BA - What size or type of car parts are we talking about? Knowing that would help in judging what you need in macro and lighting capabilities.

A. C.

Last edited by ac.smith; Dec 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:02 PM   #7

batteries. I am using kodak rechargeable digital camera batteries. They are a little better then the normal AA battery but with these I still only get about 8 or less shots with flash with a fully charged pair of batteries.

For review sites I usually use cnet and steves as well as what other reviews pop up when I do a google search.

Still for the life of me can't find a macro or flower feature on this current camera..I have however on very few occasions got very good close up pictures of car parts. its just few and far between and I really have no clue as to how I did it.

Mainly the macro feature would be used when I sell ecus, cam shafts, cranks, pistons. Things that people like to see very small details to make sure its in good condition.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 9:22 AM   #8

Any other thoughts or ideas? Any more cameras to check out?

Kodak Easyshare ZD15?

A little big for my liking but just saw an add for it so I figured I would throw it out there.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:41 AM   #9

BA-

The ZD15 is a stripped down promotional version of the Kodak Z915 camera. It too uses AA Batteries. However, in my experience with the Z915, battery life is rather normal.

For smaller cameras, there is the Kodak C-190 which is AA powered (normal battery life), Samsung has the SL420 (Lithium ion rechargeable batter), and Canon has the A480 (AA battery powered, normal battery life. All three cameras are right around the $100 mark.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:49 AM   #10

Yea I didn't see it was a normal battery camera till I posted already.
No batteries for me!

From the looks of it I think a camera with a little more to it would be best.

I don't mind spending a little bit but I want good value for what I do spend.

Still just too many choices...