Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 2, 2010, 1:21 PM   #1

Default Wanna help out a total newbie!!!! Xmas Present

Hi,
I need some help. BAD. To start, I know very little about cameras and terminalogy.

The wifey is looking for a camera that takes very quick pictures. One after the other. We always feel with the current and past point and shoots that we are missing shots. Now with a baby on the way we really want to avoid having this happen.

I have read that the DSLR's take fast photos but don't know too much about them. Do any of them have auto focusing? She isn't into photography enough to get involved with crazy lenses and such.

Are there any P&S cameras that are fast taking?

What about DSLR's?

I am going into this with an openmind and I am open to all suggestions. And not partial to one brand or model.

One person mentioned a Nikon p100, what I would like to hear what everyone has to say.

Just want a good solid camera that takes really fast pictures

Thanks!!!
bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2010, 9:14 AM   #2

Nobody has any advice for me?
bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 4:21 PM   #3

The way I understand it, CCD sensors typically capture sharper images at the expense of speed and CMOS sensors typically capture images more rapidly at the expense of sharpness. A couple P&S cameras I'm aware of that have CMOS sensors and take very rapid pictures (up to 10 per second or so) are Sony's WX5 and HX5V. They have pretty fast processors and the WX5 has a larger aperture lens which would be better in low light (such as indoors with no flash).
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:20 PM   #4

Have a look at the Fujifilm HS-10 or the Panasonic ZS-x series.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:17 PM   #5

I don't know what you mean by "fast". Do you mean with minimal shutter lag, or capable of taking a burst of photos without a pause, or what?

If you primarily want a camera for taking pictures of Junior I'd personally go with a Canon G-series, not a DSLR. But no digital camera can take pictures as rapidly (with the shortest shutter lag) as the best film cameras. You can reduce shutter lag by using the camera manually, so it doesn't have to meter and focus before it can take the shot.

If I've misinterpreted you and you really want a high burst rate, then go for something like the Canon 7D or the Nikon D7000. The Canon is substantially faster than the Nikon though that's no slouch.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:10 PM   #6

since he's a total newb, chances are he won't know the difference between pics with minimal shutter lag and burst. i wouldn't think he was talking about burst mode considering the subject, but who knows?

while a dslr will be a faster camera, it has a learning curve. and most cameras can take pics pretty quick, but in some digicams the flash takes a while to recharge - up to 4 seconds. i rarely shoot with flash, but i suspect if you're talking about indoor pics, you will need to. on the other hand, if you get a very fast lens (that means one that lets more light in), you may not need a flash, but a faster lens means more money.

my first thought is a canon rebel with the canon 50mm f/1.8 or if you can afford it, the canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. the lower the number after the f, the more light the lens can let in. the catch? at the widest open, the smaller the area the lens focuses on, so it would take a little experimentation. still, the results would be well worth a little practice.

i might also suggest the olympus epl1 with the panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens - this is a pretty small camera and lens, the camera has a bigger sensor than a digicam and the lens is pretty darn fast. also this camera is more user friendly than a lot of them.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 7:51 PM   #7

The trouble with using a fast lens and no flash is minimal depth of field. That means that the kid's nose may be beautifully sharp and in focus, but his ears may be blurry. I use a G10 and a 5D and I would reach for the G10 for this, every time.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2010, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
The way I understand it, CCD sensors typically capture sharper images at the expense of speed and CMOS sensors typically capture images more rapidly at the expense of sharpness. A couple P&S cameras I'm aware of that have CMOS sensors and take very rapid pictures (up to 10 per second or so) are Sony's WX5 and HX5V. They have pretty fast processors and the WX5 has a larger aperture lens which would be better in low light (such as indoors with no flash).
In terms of P&S cameras, absolutely correct.