Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:45 AM   #91

Great, helpful input. I can't wait to hear your conclusions after further evaluation and outdoor shooting with the HX1. Perhaps the interface will seem less clunky after more time with it - or maybe not.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:14 AM   #92

I'll keep you posted. I'll be taking the HX1 outdoors tomorrow. The camera's menus are just slow. I think Canon and Panasonic definitely offer better organized and more intuitive menu systems also. Actual shooting doesn't seem slow though. One of the most appealing things about this camera I think is that Sony chose to keep it at 9-10MP rather than cramming 14MP onto the tiny sensor like Panny did.

In the posted image, the FZ100's AWB is shifted 3 notches towards magenta. I have since shifted it 3 towards blue also. After doing that, the image colors look good and Photoshop agrees (no visible correction). I'll try shooting with it set that way this week and see if it consistently provides accurate color. I also watched a video I shot today and the optical zoom is dead quiet - quieter than my Panasonic HS250 dedicated camcorder (one of the top models from last year).
Old Dec 29, 2010, 2:55 PM   #93

***NEWS FLASH***

Sony Rumors is now reporting that there will indeed probably be a HX1 replacement announced at 2011 CES.
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 6:49 PM   #94

That's the kind of news that'll give me patience. I just knew there had to be a reason I was being so indecisive!
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:25 PM   #95

Hi Tim-

I first saw mention of a HX1 replacement over in the DPR Forums, so I went searching to validate the existence of that rumor. I am glad I could help out.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:48 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
***NEWS FLASH***

Sony Rumors is now reporting that there will indeed probably be a HX1 replacement announced at 2011 CES.
I can't say I'm excited. All of the other manufacturer's replacement have been inferior to their predecessors in terms of sheer IQ. Also, Sony has stopped production of the 10MP BSI CMOS sensors and instead jumped to the inferior 12MP versions. On the off chance that there's any substance to the rumor, we can be sure that the replacement will be sporting the new 12MP BSI sensor. As Sarah Joyce stated in a previous post, I think the non-BSI sensor in the HX1 was a pro rather than a con.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
That's the kind of news that'll give me patience. I just knew there had to be a reason I was being so indecisive!
Not to be a wise a** but I think your reason for being so indecisive is that you're expecting too much out of a single camera. The CCD sensors will always provide better IQ than the CMOS, all other things being equal and the CCD sensors are physically incapable of doing 1080p or high burst rates. Thus you will always have to choose which is more important to you.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:17 PM   #97

Five-O-
Just wondering about this quote...

Doesn't that make the Panasonic FZ40 a better choice than the FZ100?

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:57 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Five-O-
Just wondering about this quote...

Doesn't that make the Panasonic FZ40 a better choice than the FZ100?

Sarah Joyce
If IQ is the primary concern, absolutely. Some people, myself included, might be willing to sacrifice some IQ for the sake of video and burst performance though. It all depends on your needs/wants. I don't think there's any single best camera in any class that suits everyone.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 2:09 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
Not to be a wise a** but I think your reason for being so indecisive is that you're expecting too much out of a single camera. The CCD sensors will always provide better IQ than the CMOS, all other things being equal and the CCD sensors are physically incapable of doing 1080p or high burst rates. Thus you will always have to choose which is more important to you.
No offense taken. I'm an engineer by trade and as such am quite accustomed to making compromises and accepting trade-offs. It's assumed that the ideal is rarely - if ever - achieved, but ideal balance is always an objective of mine.

As it is, the HX1 may very well offer the best "balance" of what I'm looking for, but I would consider a very similarly featured camera that uses SD memory, does 1080p AVCHD, and perhaps has a little greater zoom - if I could get all that without losing too much IQ - I would consider it a very decent upgrade.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:52 PM   #100

FYI, I sent the Sony HX1 back.

What I Liked
  • The camera feels well built
  • Fairly sharp images for a CMOS-based bridge camera
  • Overall good IQ for this class of camera
  • DRO (Dynamic Range Optimization) works

What I Didn't Like
  • Many of the commonly used controls are buried in the menu (i.e. flash strength adjustment). This is especially an issue since flash strength needs to be manually adjusted for each shot to maintain proper exposure.
  • Camera has issues with proper exposure outdoors in Auto or P-Auto modes; some images look washed out
  • Low resolution LCD looks terrible and isn't fully articulating
  • Interface is slow and clunky
  • Slow shot-to-shot times, due largely to the fact that camera is non-operational (no menu, no zoom, no nothing) during all write operations.
  • Zoom is loud and sickly sounding in still mode. Oddly enough, it is pretty quiet in video mode.
  • No dedicated video button
  • Some difficulty focusing in low light

Last edited by FiveO; Dec 31, 2010 at 6:55 PM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote