Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:00 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Biro-

Very rarely do I disagree with you. But this is time to not be duped by high optical zoom numbers. Considering the super zoom cameras in the market today, there is not one I have not tried, including the HS10. I still have a lightly used HS10 if you are interested. In my experience, I find the image results with HS10 best in very good light, and otherwise rather inconsistent.

If I was to choose a super zoom on which to polish my photos skills in anticipation of later moving to a DSLR camera, it would be the Panasonic FZ40, not the HS10.

And yes, I agree that a super zoom is a very good learning tool, as you have to work harder to get really top notch results, than you do with a good DSLR. Yes, I have been down the DSLR route as well.

Sarah Joyce
Fair enough Sarah... BTW.. Adorama has the FZ35 for $239 right now:

http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCFZ35BK.html
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 8:52 AM   #102

Happy New Year, Biro-

I decided that I ought to put my money where my mouth is, so I now have a FZ40 in my stable of cameras. All in all, I am very impressed with it. It is a very capable camera.

Thus far, I have had fun experimenting. Here is one of the experiments I did. This is a photo taken with the "High Sensitivity" Scene Mode. It is a photo taken at ISO 3200 with the light of a single 60W bulb in a ceiling fixture.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Pa...4_TYEHr-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2011, 12:06 PM   #103

I'm with you on this one Sarah... I think the results you got with that camera and sensor under those conditions are very impressive. Happy New Year!
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote