Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:03 PM   #21

Snapsort.com recommends the Nikon Coolpix P100 over the SX20 and the FZ100. Do you guys know anything about the P100 that might make me want to look closer or stay away?
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:20 PM   #22
Administrator

Snapsort, huh?

From what I can tell, all they're doing is developing a point scale based on features in specifications, versus actually trying the cameras to find out how image quality compares, if the features are actually usable, etc. ;-)

Note how their scoring system works:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_Co...MC-FZ100/score

Heck, I can plug in a pro level Nikon D3s and the P100 scores higher than it, too. Guess which model is going to produce dramatically better image quality? :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 5:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Snapsort, huh?

From what I can tell, all they're doing is developing a point scale based on features in specifications, versus actually trying the cameras to find out how image quality compares, if the features are actually usable, etc. ;-)

Note how their scoring system works:

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon_Co...MC-FZ100/score

Heck, I can plug in a pro level Nikon D3s and the P100 scores higher than it, too. Guess which model is going to produce dramatically better image quality? :-)
Unfortunately, I don't have the benefit of being able to try both of these cameras myself. I'm just trying to be analytical about what possible choices there are and their pros and cons. I don't rely on specifications for any more than providing a clue as to some of the physical limitations of the equipment.

I love image quality, but let's be honest. If image quality were really the most important factor I don't think I'd consider anything less than a DSLR with its magnitudes larger sensor.

So how is the P100 for usability and image quality? Is it anywhere near comparable to the FZ100?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 6:05 PM   #24
Administrator

Tim, I don't know the answer to your question. From what I gather from our review, images were a bit less detailed than expected from this class of camera due to noise in images. See the conclusion for it here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...lusion-94.html

I haven't personally used it. My point was that sites ranking cameras based on specs alone can be misleading. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 11:43 AM   #25

I have never touched a P100 outside of a camera store. I have read that it is a big improvement over the P90. However, I have also read that its picture quality is just ok. Here is the review from CNET -
http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-came...contentBody;1r

Panasonic has been making superzooms for at least 8 years, ever since the FZ1. They are pretty good at it. I myself was tempted to get the FZ100. However, I have heard that the picture quality of the FZ40 is slightly better than that of the FZ100 and it's cheaper. It doesn't have a hot shoe or a super fast burst mode at full resolution, but it reportedly does shoot decent pictures.

I agree with Jim that the comparison of two cameras based just on features is incomplete and can be misleading.

A lot depends on what quality of pictures will make you happy. I have the Casio FH20, which has a super fast burst mode (30 fps at 8 megapixels). For me, the quality of pictures in that burst mode (at ISO 100 or 200) is fine. For others, it's inadequate. So, if you can, see if you can find some examples of shots taken with the cameras you are interested in on Flickr or Photobucket or sites like that.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:01 PM   #26

If you visit the Panasonic P&S forum here at Steve's just search FZ100 FZ40 and many photo links will come up also many comparisions made by everyone with the FZ35 - FZ40 - FZ100 which are very informing...allowing you to make an informed decision about the IQ and Performance of those 3 Panasonic FZ Cameras...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:04 PM   #27

My experience with the Nikon P-100 was very disappointing. I returned it! The camera has a whole lot of noise and much poorer IQ than I expected.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:49 PM   #28

I noticed that the P100 is also bulkier than the FZ series, so I'm dropping it from my list. I'm going to have to find a good place to check out the FZ cameras here in the Seattle area (northeast side). If someone has a recommendation, let me know.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:23 PM   #29

Try Talls Camera or Ritz Cameras at Northgate. One of them should have it. Also, there is a Talls in University Village on the south side of the mall. Also, Bellevue Square has a big new Tall's Camera in the center of the mall. Cameras West is in Bellevue close to Fred Meyer's on 20th Ave NE.

Last edited by robbo; Dec 6, 2010 at 4:26 PM.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
I noticed that the P100 is also bulkier than the FZ series, so I'm dropping it from my list. I'm going to have to find a good place to check out the FZ cameras here in the Seattle area (northeast side). If someone has a recommendation, let me know.
Kenmore Camera (in Kenmore) has them in stock. If you don't like them you could try Video Only or Costco, just give them a call to verify availablity. Steven
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote