Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
Try Talls Camera or Ritz Cameras at Northgate. One of them should have it. Also, there is a Talls in University Village on the south side of the mall. Also, Bellevue Square has a big new Tall's Camera in the center of the mall. Cameras West is in Bellevue close to Fred Meyer's on 20th Ave NE.
I'll give Talls a shot. Cameras West (part of Ritz now) didn't seem to have Panasonic and were pretty high on the Sonys instead.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:05 AM   #32

When I was returning the Sony HX5V to the store last night and I asked what he could tell me about Superzooms, he said the latest camera they got in was the Fuji HS10. Any opinion on how the HS10 would stack up against the FZ100 in ability to get good sports pictures?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:05 PM   #33

It's slow to focus in lower lighting...it's bulky, like the manual zoom...takes constant adjusting...excellent for macros...I just couldn't live with the size and the slow focusing...EVF is poor at best...there are some very nice shots with it from experienced photogs...
The FZ100 is much more streamline...sonic AF = fast focusing...we are seeing some nice photos with it now...
This was at 600mm:

Heard Museum:

Fossil Rim Ranch: An Addax which are rare...

Hockey:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...00+Hockey&qf=m
Football:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...+Football&qf=m

Last edited by LTZ470; Dec 9, 2010 at 3:37 PM.
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 3:46 PM   #34

Are there any Superzooms with larger sensors, like 1/1.6", 1/1.7", or 1/1.8"?
Old Dec 9, 2010, 11:19 PM   #35

the Panasonic FZ50...the FL is a bit shorter the FZ50 only zooms to 420mm equivalent...

Last edited by LTZ470; Dec 9, 2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 3:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
Are there any Superzooms with larger sensors, like 1/1.6", 1/1.7", or 1/1.8"?
Not currently. There was a Fuji model a couple years ago I think but far less zoom.
Old Dec 10, 2010, 4:31 AM   #37

Which are the fastest at autofocus and zooming? Any with manual focus and/or manual zoom?

(I think Fuji HS20 has manual zoom - I don't know about manual focus)???
Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:47 AM   #38

Did you compare Full Size photos of the HS10 versus FZ100 from Image Resource? Try the Full Size House Poster...
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:02 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Did you compare Full Size photos of the HS10 versus FZ100 from Image Resource? Try the Full Size House Poster...
I did - but each camera seemed to be better in different areas of the image. The HS10 seemed to do a much better job in the still-life ISO comparisons (especially at 1600 ISO) while the FZ100 images had a warmer appearance with better gradients in shaded areas. One of the things that appeals to me about the HS10 is the manual zoom - seems like it would make framing an image much quicker (like when you want to zoom in to your kid really fast), but I don't know if focusing could keep up.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:36 PM   #40

In good light and if the child is wearing bright contrasty colors it will have no problem...if the subject and background are close in color and the light is lower it will struggle...yes the Manual Zoom is great...we liked it also...the image resource photos didn't reflect what I actually got out of the camera though...they looked much better...It was my skills though, so some skill is required...you won't see many amatuers with this camera for that reason...