Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:02 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
In good light and if the child is wearing bright contrasty colors it will have no problem...if the subject and background are close in color and the light is lower it will struggle...yes the Manual Zoom is great...we liked it also...the image resource photos didn't reflect what I actually got out of the camera though...they looked much better...It was my skills though, so some skill is required...you won't see many amatuers with this camera for that reason...
This would've been great advice for me this morning.

I spent 45 minutes at Kenmore Camera (busy place!) this afternoon looking primarily at the Panasonic FZ100 and Canon SX30IS, and came home with the SX30IS. It's been a gray day and the store was pretty brightly lit so there wasn't much to make it easy to differentiate between the two cameras other than specs, settings, and user interface.

For some reason, it almost seems to be an insurmountable usability hurdle to me that the Panasonic cameras I've played with are so much slower than my Canons at reviewing photos on the memory card. All I'm expecting them to do is provide a way for me to quickly closely examine any portion of a photo - is that really too much to ask?

I just couldn't make myself pull the trigger on the FZ100 when it would always bug me that I couldn't review photos in the way I'm accustomed to. I was impressed with how fast the SX30 could zoom at high speed and that it was pretty easy to vary the speed of the zoom. The videos I shot in the store seemed to favor the SX30 because of how quickly it adjusted to changing distance and luminance. I didn't get to experience low light performance at all.

I felt that each camera failed to meet one of my "must haves", as the FZ100 was excruciatingly slow at closely reviewing a photo, and the SX30 doesn't have 1080p video in the AVCHD format. I walked out of the store with the SX30 primarily because they had it for $50 less than the FZ100.

I'm really impressed with the 35x zoom of the SX30 and how well it handles still photos. I'm pretty sure I'd prefer it to the FZ100 for most of the photos I'm accustomed to taking, but one of the biggest reasons I'm looking for a different kind of camera is to try to get the kind of action and video I haven't been able to get.

Are there any Superzooms that meet my highest preferences of 1080p AVCHD video and rapid playback zoom and pan to a specific detail in a photo? Does Canon or maybe even Sony have anything else I should look at?
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:22 AM   #42

Tim I would do what you are doing...shoot each one from a store with a good return policy then decide...you seem pretty adept at photography so it's going to come down to the handling of the camera and what you yourself is comfortable with...I have the SX30 also, but had already sent one back...they have updated the firmware several times...from the factory...there is a guy at DPR doing some mods to the firmware also, yes I think it will be very capable when all is said and done...but it was slow focusing and too large originally and I got some mediocre shots from it that every one except one was very marginal SOOC, so that turned me off to it...hopefully this one will be better...the fps is sadly limited by Canon...hopefully Phil will remedy that also...

The size, handling, and the speed of the FZ100 is too good for my own end use...I can't keep my hands off of it...just a great all around camera as I look at photos not pixels...if I really looked at pixels I would get rid of everything except my Canon 7D...lol...

Get the camera that is a joy for YOU to use and take photographs and have fun while you are doing it...thats what it's all about and we are blessed to have all these choices in front of us to do it with...while some may think it's a curse to have all these choices...lol...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 1:27 AM   #43

Tim don't know if this still works but got mine here:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...x30-314-a.html
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:08 PM   #44

The SX30 takes some very nice still photos - even in very low light. In fact, I'm blown away that it does as well as it does. However, I see that it is quite slow on picture-to-picture response and am concerned that wouldn't do very well with movement in anything other than the best of light.

I'll probably give the FZ100 a try despite my aversion to its ergonomics and user-interface.

Are there any other superzooms that have near the ergonomics (primarily pertaining to user-interface) and low-light still capabilities of a Canon and the speed and and good-light IQ of the FZ100?

I can't help but wonder if I would only be truly satisfied with a more versatile DSLR, but I'm not sure if I can afford that route with a camera that must do 1080p video well.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:35 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
Are there any other superzooms that have near the ergonomics (primarily pertaining to user-interface) and low-light still capabilities of a Canon and the speed and and good-light IQ of the FZ100?
It looks like the Sony HX1 can do high speed photos and 1080p video. Any idea how the HX1 might stack up against the FZ100?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 4:47 AM   #46

No idea Tim...
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:45 AM   #47

Quote:
It looks like the Sony HX1 can do high speed photos and 1080p video. Any idea how the HX1 might stack up against the FZ100?
If video is a factor, keep in mind that the HX1 doesn't do full HD. It does 1440x1080 rather than 1920x1080.

I'm a bit partial to the Sony but if I was choosing between the FZ38 and the HX1, I might prefer the FZ38.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:52 AM   #48

There's a thread comparing the two on DPR....
Old Dec 15, 2010, 5:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Quote:
If video is a factor, keep in mind that the HX1 doesn't do full HD. It does 1440x1080 rather than 1920x1080.

I'm a bit partial to the Sony but if I was choosing between the FZ38 and the HX1, I might prefer the FZ38.
I don't think I'd have a problem with the non-standard 1440x1080 16:9 video of the HX1 if it does everything else well. The proprietary Memory Stick Pro would probably be more bothersome.

Are you saying you're a bit partial to the HX1 over the FZ100, or just that you might prefer the FZ38 over the HX1? Isn't the FZ38 the European version of the FZ35? Where does the FZ40 fit into all this as far as your preferences?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 6:30 PM   #50

I have had the SX30IS for about two weeks. I like it a lot, but it doesn't seem to me to be that good in low light. That's ok, I have a DSLR (Pentax K-x) which can handle low light. The SX30IS has great image stabilization and takes pretty good pictures at ISOs 80,100, and 200, in my opinion.
I had the FZ28 (the model before the FZ35/38 which preceded the FZ40 and FZ100). It was very easy to use in a variety of settings. It was much, much better in low light than the SX30IS.
If you can be happy with 10X optical zoom, you can try the Sony HX5V. It is pretty good in low light, has full HD, can use SD/SDHC cards and can shoot 10 FPS. However, it goes from 25mm to 250mm, which may not be enough reach for you.
You can see the HX5V at Tall's, I think, and maybe at Kenmore Camera, too.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote