Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:59 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo View Post
I have had the SX30IS for about two weeks. I like it a lot, but it doesn't seem to me to be that good in low light. That's ok, I have a DSLR (Pentax K-x) which can handle low light. The SX30IS has great image stabilization and takes pretty good pictures at ISOs 80,100, and 200, in my opinion.
I had the FZ28 (the model before the FZ35/38 which preceded the FZ40 and FZ100). It was very easy to use in a variety of settings. It was much, much better in low light than the SX30IS.
If you can be happy with 10X optical zoom, you can try the Sony HX5V. It is pretty good in low light, has full HD, can use SD/SDHC cards and can shoot 10 FPS. However, it goes from 25mm to 250mm, which may not be enough reach for you.
You can see the HX5V at Tall's, I think, and maybe at Kenmore Camera, too.
I had the HX5V for a couple weeks and loved everything about it except the IQ. There was just too much noise reduction, resulting in a pasty look when looking at anything more than hald scale. A lesser issue - but one nonetheless - was that the colors were inaccurate in that everything other than red was given a reddish hue and reds came out with an orange hue to them. Low light of still scenes was impressive, but nowhere near as good as I've been able to get with the SX30IS.

The shot-to-shot delay is just too long for kids sports, however. Even the "burst" mode is maxxed out at less than one shot per second. If I was taking stills, the SX30IS would be my pick, but I'd be making a lot of concessions to use it as my Superzoom for sports.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:11 AM   #52

Tim you had better go get the FZ100 on a good return policy and shoot it for 300-500 clicks...thats about one day at 11 fps...lol...the 5 AF FPS Burst is the best..but I can completely understand if the handling of a camera doesn't suit me it's very hard for me to like it much less use it...it's suppose to be fun not frustrating...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:57 AM   #53

Cole and Tim-

I still favor the Sony HX1, whose Burst Mode provides 10fps.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:49 PM   #54

Several comments form HX1 Owners: 10fps and then waiting for awhile for the buffer to clear would probably not make it a keeper for me...

I used to love my HX1 and rave about it. But in retrospect, the HX1 pics were noisy, actually quite noisy.

My conclusion: I sold the FZ100 and will keep the Sony HX1

I didn't like the burst storage delay in the HX1 at all.

While I sung high praises for it on Sony talk, I was really bothered by the low-res LCD and EVF and ultimately super bothered by its response time. I was missing shots because I thought it had already registered by button press but suffice to say, it was still in-between processes. This resulted in missed opportunities as well as the last second of all my videos with me swinging the camera away because it still hasn't processed my Stop Recording yet. I think DPReview's review of the Sony HX55V also mentions this response time lag. Eventually I sold it and got myself a NEX setup.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:22 PM   #55

Cole-

The HX1 works well for me, as I am beyond sports photos of the kids, the youngest is 49.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:25 PM   #56

Some folks that originally sold the HX1 are going back to buy one as they like the IQ and the Low Light photos...Like someone else said...it's successor should be interesting...have you heard anything in this regard Sarah?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:30 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Several comments form HX1 Owners: 10fps and then waiting for awhile for the buffer to clear would probably not make it a keeper for me...

I used to love my HX1 and rave about it. But in retrospect, the HX1 pics were noisy, actually quite noisy.

My conclusion: I sold the FZ100 and will keep the Sony HX1

I didn't like the burst storage delay in the HX1 at all.
So what about the FZ100? When you picked the HX1 over the FZ100, what was the reason at the time?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:37 AM   #58

Tim I have never held an HX1 much less taken a picture with it...I have purchased another Canon SX30 and will give it a go one more time...I will definitely take the time to handle the HX1 sooner than later...

Tim I am different in that I have the FZ35 and the FZ40 at my disposal also...so I grab the FZ100 90% of the time, but usually will bring along the FZ35 or FZ40...or a ZS7 on my belt if take the FZ100 alone...the size and functions of the Panny Camera are better for me...
The FZ100 has it's quirks, but some of the photos are DSLR Quality to my old eyes...the AF on the FZ100 is one of the best there is...all ofthe following macros without any conversion lens..FZ100 AF Macro alone...

With LC55:

600mm Zoom Shots:

Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:33 AM   #59

Tim-

Cole has shown you a number of Panasonic FZ-100 samples. No one camera is "perfect." Every camera has some features that are great, and some that are perhaps, not as great as you had hoped.

The more comfortable you are and the more you know and understand the features of your camera, the better your images will be. For Cole it is the FZ-100 for me it is the HX1. Everyone's experience will be somewhat different.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:28 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Tim-

Cole has shown you a number of Panasonic FZ-100 samples. No one camera is "perfect." Every camera has some features that are great, and some that are perhaps, not as great as you had hoped.

The more comfortable you are and the more you know and understand the features of your camera, the better your images will be. For Cole it is the FZ-100 for me it is the HX1. Everyone's experience will be somewhat different.

Sarah Joyce
I like the way the SX30 feels in my hands and the controls seem ergonomic to me largely from being accustomed to Canon cameras. The FZ100 in many ways didn't seem very ergonomic to me, but I feel I really need a fast camera.

When I was showing the SX30 to a co-worker yesterday, I went to full zoom focusing on the lug nuts of a Corvette about 100 feet away. When I demonstrated the back-off to re-center and re-zoom feature (which in theory is a great idea), it took the camera at least 10 seconds to refocus on the lug nuts when zoomed back in. That seemed unacceptably slow to me, but I don't know how it compares to any other cameras because I haven't used any others with that feature.

The other thing that seems a big problem for doing sports is that the SX30 maxxes out at an agonizing 0.6 pictures per second when holding the shutter down all the way in Sports mode. However, when I was using the Sony HX5V, I noticed "processing" times of several seconds after taking a burst of 10 shots, so it seems I would lose some photo opportunities with that kind of delay as well. Do all the CMOS Superzooms have similar processing delays after taking a burst of shots? If that's the case, then shooting video clips may actually be my best bet for shooting sports with anything less than a fast DSLR.

If I'm going to opt for video with the occasional really good still photo (hopefully much better than can be taken with a camcorder), which of these Superzooms has the best quality of video?

(I'm not focused on highest resolution, because I saw that the 1080p of the HX5V was not necessarily any better than 720p from an ZS7.)