Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:53 PM   #81

The HS10 seems to have a small following but overall it gets rated poorly. I think the FZ100 and HX1 are better options. The HX1 doesn't have RAW but I'm not sure how useful RAW is on this type of camera anyway. It seems to be there more for the spec sheet than actual usage.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:02 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
The HS10 seems to have a small following but overall it gets rated poorly. I think the FZ100 and HX1 are better options. The HX1 doesn't have RAW but I'm not sure how useful RAW is on this type of camera anyway. It seems to be there more for the spec sheet than actual usage.
One of my sister-in-laws recently sought long and hard to buy a Canon SX1 for a World Vision trip to Africa because it shoots RAW. When she got back she said she probably wouldn't pay the premium again because she found she didn't end up using that mode at all. I would concur that I've never really taken advantage of the RAW mode on cameras I've had that offered it, so it's a non-factor for all practical purposes.

I think it's coming down to the SX30 for the bigger zoom and slightly better image quality and the FZ100 for the speed. I just didn't want to write off the HS10 without understanding better why I wrote it off.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:48 AM   #83

If you check the images for the HS10, they tend to get muddy fast, much like the Nikon P100. While none of these bridge cameras produces outstanding images, I think those two perform a bit under par for the class. I can't say I'm a fan of the SX30 either though; I haven't seen any good samples that weren't heavily post-processed. If you're willing to do a lot of post-processing though, I think you can get very good photos from it.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:32 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
If you check the images for the HS10, they tend to get muddy fast, much like the Nikon P100. While none of these bridge cameras produces outstanding images, I think those two perform a bit under par for the class. I can't say I'm a fan of the SX30 either though; I haven't seen any good samples that weren't heavily post-processed. If you're willing to do a lot of post-processing though, I think you can get very good photos from it.
Unfortunately, I'm most accustomed to not doing any post-processing at all, but for the most part I was pleasantly surprised with the photos the SX30 gave right out of the box.

Really, the biggest issues of the SX30 in order of importance were:
1) Took longer on a shot-to-shot basis than I am hoping for.
2) Seemed slow to regain focus on rediscovered subjects.
3) Video was only 720p and file sizes weren't as size-efficient as AVCHD. However, the video was in a format that was easy to edit and still looked quite good.
4) LCD display was lower resolution and a bit smaller than that of the FZ100.

I like the HX1 better than both the SX30 and FZ100, but what's holding me back on it is that it doesn't take SD memory, it's likely to be replaced at the coming CES next month, and the 1080p video is an unconventional 1440x1080 rectangular pixel format that I would be re-encoding most of the time. And to be honest, the only one of those that's a deal-breaker for me is that it won't take SD cards (I have many and have no other use for Memory Stick Pro/Duo).

Last edited by nwtim; Dec 28, 2010 at 1:37 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:05 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
Now I've wondered about the HS10, as the specs look very much like I'd hope for when it comes to the CMOS sensor, 10 MP imager, RAW capability, manual zoom, and 1080p video. However, when I look for comments on the HS10, the thing that strikes me is that a lot of people seem to imply it's got impressive capability but takes more work to get a good photo than a typical point-and-shoot. Can someone please expand on this?
The Fujifilm HS10 requires some work just like a DSLR requires work - because it gives the owner many options and a high level of control. But, just as with the other P&S superzooms, it has a small 1/2.3 sensor and all that it implies. But what you want in a photo might be different from what others might want. Personally, I've seen some very nice images from the HS10 - especially in good light. I suspect operating the HS10 in manual mode or aperture-priority mode will help prepare you for a DSLR down the road. Check out Steve's Fuji forum and look for images and reviews by owners:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fujifilm-22/
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:16 PM   #86

Biro-

Very rarely do I disagree with you. But this is time to not be duped by high optical zoom numbers. Considering the super zoom cameras in the market today, there is not one I have not tried, including the HS10. I still have a lightly used HS10 if you are interested. In my experience, I find the image results with HS10 best in very good light, and otherwise rather inconsistent.

If I was to choose a super zoom on which to polish my photos skills in anticipation of later moving to a DSLR camera, it would be the Panasonic FZ40, not the HS10.

And yes, I agree that a super zoom is a very good learning tool, as you have to work harder to get really top notch results, than you do with a good DSLR. Yes, I have been down the DSLR route as well.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:33 PM   #87

Quote:
I like the HX1 better than both the SX30 and FZ100, but what's holding me back on it is that it doesn't take SD memory
I agree that isn't ideal but for $50 you can get a 16GB Sony branded card and maybe even a little less for a Sandisk card. Considering the HX1 is $50 cheaper than the FZ100 (both at Amazon) it all evens out. I just picked up an 8GB Sandisk Pro DUO card at Walmart for $25.

Quote:
it's likely to be replaced at the coming CES next month
I did some research on this as I was curious also. Apparently Sony will not be replacing the HX1 and instead is going to direct their efforts to cameras like the NEX and HX5V. They are pulling out of the bridge camera segment according to several news articles I read.

Quote:
and the 1080p video is an unconventional 1440x1080 rectangular pixel format that I would be re-encoding most of the time.
Yeah it is a shame about the non-standard video format. You won't need to re-encode it though as the pixels are rectangular and will output as 1920x1080. It doesn't look quite as good as Full HD but based on the online samples it does look quite good. I'm more concerned about the sound. The Panasonic's sound is very good for a camera imho but what I have heard from the HX1 hasn't impressed me thus far. To be fair, the HX5V was shot in a busy location and the FZ100 was shot in a quiet marina so I'm looking for a more fair comparison before judging the sound.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:30 PM   #88

Five-O-

I agree there does not appear that there will be a HX1 replacement.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:18 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
If I was to choose a super zoom on which to polish my photos skills in anticipation of later moving to a DSLR camera, it would be the Panasonic FZ40, not the HS10.
I'm actually quite interested in the FZ40, as it seems to produce better images than the FZ100. Perhaps this is because it uses a CCD imager instead of CMOS like the FZ100. Though nowhere near as fast as the FZ100, I noticed that the FZ40 is spec'd to shoot faster than the Canon SX30, which may move it up my list. My biggest concern about the FZ40 is that it might not serve as well for video, since I've seen vertical streaks across the image from bright sources like the sun or intense reflections.

Anybody know how the FZ40 compares to other CCD Superzooms when it comes to this behavior?

That's too bad about Sony's lack of commitment to an updated Superzoom (namely fitting it for SD memory). I had seen a number of rumors that something was probably coming around the corner, but nothing that could be considered a reliable source or a reasonably confident guess. I haven't written off the HX1 just yet - I'm just reluctant to move it to the top of the list until ruling out other options.

Last edited by nwtim; Dec 29, 2010 at 12:22 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:58 AM   #90

All CCD-based cameras will display streaking in bright light; it is a limitation of the sensor design. Additionally, CCD sensors are not fast enough to support 1080i/p and thus we'll never see a CCD-based camera with 1080 video. The IQ of the FZ40 is better and it is indeed due to the CCD sensor. How important the difference is will depend largely on how large you intend to print at. There are some other differences between these 2 models as well.

After spending the day with the FZ100 and a brief time with the HX1, I can give you a few first-hand comments on these 2 cameras. The Panasonic interface is great as usual and everything responds instantly. The focus is incredibly fast for this type of camera as I said earlier. The AWB however is unreliable both indoors and outdoors. The JPEG color just isn't quite right which is typical for Panasonic. I haven't tried shooting RAW yet. Another thing is that this camera is huge compared to the HX1.

The HX1 interface is slow and clunky, just like the HX5V. The zoom motor sounds loud and sickly when shooting stills but is quiet when shooting video. Very strange. Focus seems pretty quick but I haven't had a chance to try it outdoors yet with some action shots. The screen is better on the FZ100; what the heck is with Sony and these crappy 230k screens?! Like the FZ100, the HX1 feels well made. I haven't had a chance yet to compare the AWB performance but I am almost certain it will be better than Panasonic's.

I'm really liking the performance and handling of the FZ100 but of course IQ is very important and part of that, at least in my view, is color reproduction. I'll have both cameras for a week or so and then will decide on one or none.

Here's an FZ100 action shot that demonstrates the focus speed. Most importantly, you can get these shots consistently.

Last edited by FiveO; Dec 29, 2010 at 2:54 AM.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote