Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 3, 2010, 3:46 PM   #1

Default P&S Super-zoom, compact good in low light

I'm looking for a compact, super-zoom that's really good in low light and takes video. Most of my pictures are taken on vacation or home family gatherings. I don't want to schlep around a large, heavy camera on vacation. Many vacation pictures are taken during evening entertainment, and home family gatherings are in dimmed and candlelight. I've been looking at the Canon SD210IS and Samsung HZ30W, with 14X & 15X optical zoom. Both cameras were released around the same time, but I'm not finding many reviews for the Samsung. I have a Panasonic Lumix 10X zoom, but either the camera or photographer (me) doesn't produce good low light shots.

Last edited by sheilablake; Dec 3, 2010 at 3:50 PM.
sheilablake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2010, 6:17 PM   #2

You have to choose low light or zoom - can't have both as they won't fit in a pocket cam. This is pretty much a daily discussion. Now some cameras are worse than others even with similarly sized sensors so you may get some improvement with another camera in low light but it will be extremely minimal unless you get a cam with a larger sensor and/or brighter lens.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:43 AM   #3

fujifilm s200exr
Hernan8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:25 PM   #4

U need a P&S with a larger sensor (1/1.7").My recommendation would b Nikon P7000 if U require zoom(7.1x) + lowlight capability. The rest have 5x zoom or less.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:14 AM   #5

fujifilm s200exr : 1/1.6" sensor ... I don't know why anybody talk about this camera and I'm starting to get worried for that because in a few weeks i will buy it... somebody knows if the s200exr have a problem or something like that?
Hernan8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:58 AM   #6

fujifilm s200exr has excellent reviews...I have read that it does take continual adjustments/tweaking for the best photos...hopefully someone will chime in that owns it...Dustin?
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:40 AM   #7

LTZ is 100% correct-

While the Fuji S-200EXR can take good photos, the EXR system which take many, many small manual adjustments to get those good photos is a REAL PAIN. It was way to many adjustments for my taste, and I am an experienced photographer. So I returned the S-200EXR.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote