Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 4, 2010, 8:23 AM   #1

Default Choice of 3

Got the choice of 3 cameras, 2nd hand. Which would you suggest:

Canon 500D.........380

Sony A200..........240

Nikon D3000 body only............250

Help!!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:33 AM   #2
Administrator

No disrespect. But, how many threads are you going to start before settling on a camera to use?

I see you've already started multiple threads in the past, including some asking for opinions on the Sony A200 versus A230, versus Nikon D5000; Sony A230 versus Canon 450D, etc., etc. etc. :-)

For example, here's one recent thread you started asking for opinions between the D3000 and EOS-1000D
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/wh...ice-again.html

You've started a number of other threads asking about dSLR models, too (and even mentioned buying a 450D in one of them).

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/se...&starteronly=1

Personally, I'd avoid second hand cameras in that price range, as new ones are not much more (as already pointed out in previous threads you've started asking similar questions about dSLR models).

Try them in a store and decide what model fits you best. There are pros and cons to any of them. But, my advise is to make a decision and stick with it until you learn how to get the best results out of the camera you choose. Chances are, your skill is going to be the limiting factor, not the camera itself. Then, after you learn to get good results, and have a better idea where a camera (or lens) is holding you back, you can make better informed decisions later for your next purchase when you're ready to upgrade.

All of the dSLR models from major manufacturers are capable of taking nice photos in most conditions. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:36 AM   #3

Whats the point in spending good money on a DSLR just 'try it out' until you decide if it is for you or not? Isn't that a waste of money?
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:45 AM   #4
Administrator

Any camera takes some getting used to, and they're all capable of taking good photos in most conditions.

Again, no offense, but you've already received a lot of advise and comments from members about the pros and cons between dSLR models in a number of previous threads you've started, and it looks like you're still unable to decide the best camera for your needs.

Hint... there is no perfect camera. :-)

Look... between those choices, the 500D is probably your best bet (as pricing would indicate), as it's a little higher end model compared to the others.

But, you already bought a 450D at one point according to your previous posts. So, what makes you think a different model is going to do any better?

BTW, this article by Petteri Sulonen makes a real good read for a new dSLR owner:

Don't Be A Bozo

Here some excerpts from it. Choice (c) is where it appears you're headed, based on the threads and posts I've seen so far.

Quote:
"...so you fire off an embittered message on 300D Talk, march back to the store, and either (a) return the camera, get your money back, and resolve never to listen to people who think DSLR's are worth a darn, or (b) exchange the camera for another unit, since yours must obviously be defective, or (c) exchange the camera and/or lens for the next better and more expensive model. If (b) or (c), you're almost certainly going to return to square one, and you'll be back at the store the next day, or the day after that, and as likely as not end up choosing (a). "
If you're not satisfied with the image quality from a model you buy, post some samples and ask for help, so that members can help you make settings or technique changes to get better results. Chances are, going from one similar camera to another similar camera isn't going to help anything. ;-)
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:50 AM   #5

I should have made the first post clear as the camera choice is not for me. I still have my 450D and trying to learn to use it.

I know i ask the same questions and apologise for that.

I will have to take a look back at my old threads to get some ideas. Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2010, 9:54 AM   #6
Administrator

Gotcha...

But, again, I'd tend to avoid a second hand dSLR, as it's tough to tell what one has been through, since a new camera isn't much more (and you'd get a manufacturer's warranty with a new camera).
Old Dec 4, 2010, 10:54 AM   #7

Here in the UK Jacobs offer 12 month warranty on all the 2nd cameras. My 450d was bought from them.