Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:09 AM   #1

Default Nikon D3S

I want to purchase the Nikon D3S but am not sure if I should wait for a newer version, assuming it will be introduced soon. I do think the 12.1 mp "limitation" to be disappointing for this level of DSLR, and I don't care about having any video capability. Question is, will a newer version be entering the market soon ? I don't mind waiting a few months if any reliable rumors are out there. I don't mind spending the money, I just don't want to be disappointed a month after I spend it as a newer, greater model is unveiled.
LHSMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:18 AM   #2

jsut curious but are you a professional photographer? as frankly thats overkill otherwise - but if you want a similar camera but more pixels then there is the D3x think its 24mp

nothing concrete but heard that nikon will be releasing a d700 replacement in the spring next year but thats rumour so nothing really known for sure or what will come when it does
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:34 AM   #3

I'm sure Nikon will be introducing a new version. But I think you'll see a D300 and D700 first. There's not much of a rush to market as the D3s is aimed squarely at the professional sports / photojournalist. It's only competition as such is the Canon 1dIV. By all accounts, the 1dIV is a good camera but video is the only area where there's a significant advantage for Canon. So, there's not much pressure to push a new release right now.

As to a D3s being "overkill" - I disagree. If a hobbyist has the money and wants the best professional equipment then there's no reason not to do it. BUT that still doesn't mean the D3s is the best choice. In other words to the OP - what is it about the D3s that draws you vs. the D700 if you want full frame or D7000 otherwise?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:52 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Amazing camera, don't worry about 12mp they are very good mp and give a better result than a lot of cameras with many more due to the clarity of them. If you are going down this route and need the performance/handling of the D3s make sure you get lenses to match the performance of the body.

As John said if you don't need the top end handling/performing body then the D700 is a fantastic option. What sort of things do you want to shoot and for what purpose as that will help with lens advice (if you want it).
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:12 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHSMarine View Post
I want to purchase the Nikon D3S but am not sure if I should wait for a newer version, assuming it will be introduced soon. I do think the 12.1 mp "limitation" to be disappointing for this level of DSLR, and I don't care about having any video capability.
One of the reasons that camera does such a terrific job at higher ISO speeds, is because Nikon made the decision to keep it at 12MP. ;-)

That way, you have much larger photosites for each pixel that are able to gather more light (requiring less amplification for a given ISO speed, reducing noise levels).

Also, larger photosites for each pixel place less demands on the lens quality needed for better results.

What are you wanting to shoot?

It's probably the best dSLR around for higher ISO speed use, bar none (especially given the improvements Nikon made with the newer D3s over the older D3).

As already mentioned, the D700 would be a lower cost option with similar features, but it's IQ at higher ISO speeds is more on par with the older D3 versus the newer D3s (and the D3s is little better than the D3 and D700 at higher ISO speeds). The D3 is no "slouch" (it still outperforms most any other model you can buy at higher ISO speeds). Ditto for the D700. But, the D3s is even better if you are pushing the limits in low light at higher ISO speeds (lower noise levels with more refined NR algorithms, higher available settings), and it also has a larger buffer compared to the D3.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 12:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
just curious but are you a professional photographer? as frankly thats overkill otherwise
I am not a professional photographer (used to be many years ago) but I have a Canon 1DsMk3 along with a plethora of L lenses as well as a pair of Hasselblads (500cm and 503cx) with 4 lenses and I only shoot a few shots a week, in fact my 1DsMk3 only has taken 8300 shots since I purchased it.

But, I derive a great deal of pleasure from my kit, and I hope to use my Hasselblad lenses more when I receive my Mirex Tilt/shift adapter tomorrow which will allow them to fit on my Canons with perspective control movements.
Ed Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:03 PM   #7

my comment about it being overkill i think stands - yes some amateurs do use fantastic gear and thats fine but really for most aps-c is more than adaquate even preferable - if you have the money the fine go for professional gear but personally i think its a mistake - professional cameras are large heavy and bulky and if your just going for a walk you'll be far less likely to be inclined to take it with you

in the OP's position i would spend the money for a D3s on a D700 for when i wanted great quality shots - and buy a d7000 for something more practical for everyday use and still have some money left over for a start on some lenses
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Dec 5, 2010, 7:39 PM   #8

Default Thanks for the replies

My concern was if Nikon would be blowing away the D3s with an even greater version of it in the near future, specifically a much greater resolution as in the D3x. Professionals making money off this camera may be the only people just in purchasing such a rig, but its not always about the money now is it ?!
LHSMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:28 PM   #9
Administrator

Again, what do you want to shoot? ;-)

The D3s is a very nice camera, no doubt about it.

But, if you're not shooting sports where you need a state-of-the art AF system and very fast frame rates, combined with the ability to get great photos at very high ISO speeds, then there may be better options for you.

As much as I like what Nikon did with the D3 and newer D3s, I'd hate to lug one around all of the time unless I needed that capability for what I'd be shooting.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:35 PM   #10

well to that.. as i said i heard rumours from a professional photographer who contacted nikon asking about switching to nikon

he was thinking the d700 and wanted to know if another camera was on its way - nikon said that a replacement was on its way but would not be arriving for a while probably spring 2011 (this was from earlier in the year)

now this is rumour and second hand rumour at that but if a D800 is on its way this spring i would imagine that it would easily have the performance of the d3s at least and almost certainly with more MP but thats worse than rumour thats just a guess

but realistically speaking unless you phone nikon and get an answer out of them direct you will never have a clue whats coming until its announced - so question is do you want that camera or are you gonna wait however long it takes for its replacement to arrive while knowing that it may be a long time and you'll have missed all that time of taking photos

and just to add a option you might not have considered - buy it now and when newer one comes out sell your old one - sure you'll lose a bit but should recover fair bit of the money and then got best of both worlds
Pentax Photo Gallery