Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 5, 2010, 11:49 PM   #1

Default Too Many to Choose From... Please Help :(

Hi everyone,

I am looking to get a camera... 70% of the time, I will use it for indoor shootings: family gatherings, dinners and the other 30% will be for vacation: scenery, some night shots.

My budget max is around $600 CAD... here are the ones I am kinda interested in:
1) Sony WX5: $303 CAD (I liked my two Cybershot cellphones so maybe this one is like an upgrade?)
2) Canon SD4500: $336 CAD (I heard that the battery's pretty bad?)
3) Canon S95: $448 CAD
4) Olympus E-PL1 with 14-42mm lens: $503 CAD (I think I read that the focusing is slow?)
5) Panasonic LX5: $560 CAD

if Which one will you guys recommend? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Smokieee; Dec 6, 2010 at 1:12 AM.
Smokieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:41 AM   #2

I would kill 1 & 2 considering you are going to be using the camera in low light at least 70% of the time.

Out of the remaining cameras, the E-PL1 will give you the best low light performance with the S95 and LX5 coming in after that, pretty much neck-in-neck. The S95 might be preferable due to its size though.

I've got the S95 and am quite happy with it. It's low light performance is very good for a pocketable cam.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:25 AM   #3

I agree with Five-0-

The EPL1 is the top choice. I use one and have no qualms with the focusing speed at all. Next it would be the Canon S-95 followed by the Panasonic LX-5, in that order.

One note: I did find personally that the VF-2 accessory EVF ($US 250) is a much needed accessory on the EPL1, at least for me.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:29 PM   #4

Thanks for the comments! Uh oh, is the lcd on the E-PL1 that bad under the sun? I don't plan on getting the EVF because I don't have the budget to spend extra on that. If I have a bigger budget then I might consider the Panasonic GF-1 too

Anyways, how's the E-PL1 with street shootings? and if I don't get the pancake 20mm lens (this one's got no zoom right?), will the E-PL1's 14-42mm lens be at a disadvantage when compared to the Panasonic LX5?

Thanks again!
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:18 PM   #5

smokie-

The EPL1 LCD is very usable. The VF-2 EVF is a convenience. The Oly 14-42mm kit lens is a very creditable lens. I also use a Panasonic 45-200mm lens with my EPL1, which works well.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 7, 2010, 10:55 AM   #6

Thanks for the response again.

Sorry, I am being a pain... but I have a little problem now... my cellphone is dying on me so I might not be able to spend that much on a new camera anymore... any recommendations for a cheaper ~$300 camera?

I took a quick look at the:
1) Sony WX5 (does it lag a lot?)
2) Nikon S8100 (how does it do under low light conditions?)
3) Canon 1400IS (poor battery?)

Thanks again!
Old Dec 7, 2010, 11:31 AM   #7

Nikon S8100 is sub-$200 USD at Target right now if you have Targets in Canada.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 10:16 AM   #8

Don't have a Targets in Canada but I can get it for around $218 CAD plus tax.. which is a pretty good deal... I would have gotten the Canon sd4500 but it's $300 CAD plus tax at Bestbuy...

Btw, which SDHC card do you recommend? I heard that the Transcend ones are best with recording 1080 videos? But some also say that the Sandisk Extremes are better?
Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:00 PM   #9

smokie-

The Canon SD-4500 with full manual and automatic controls, in actual use is proving to be a measurably better camera than the all automatic Nikon S8100 which has focusing problems and sometimes sets slow shutter speeds that cause photo blurring .

Sarah Joyce