Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:52 AM   #1

Default Canon S95 or Canon XS?

I was an avid SLR user back in the film days. I sold off most of my old equipment and have been living with a p&s for the last several years. I am at the point that I'd like to upgrade to a camera that will allow me to capture better images and have more creative control over the settings. I travel a lot, so I'm trying to find the right balance between lightweight and small, on the one hand, and top image quality, on the other hand. I also often want to get shots of things like my kids performing in the orchestra, indoor portraits, etc. I need a setup that is strong in low light.

If I can, I'd like to stay within a $500 budget. On the advanced compact side, I've narrowed my search down to the Canon S95. I'm also considering a smaller, less expensive SLR. I have a few Canon lenses that will work on a Canon body. I'm thinking of the XS. Yes, I know that this camera is stripped down, but I also can live without a lot of bells and whistles. At the end of the day, I'm really interested most in image quality and a streamlined shooting experience.

The S95 has a huge advantage in its portability. I would consider a DSLR if the image quality is a big step up from the S95. I'm having a hard time making an apples to apples comparison here. I know even the XS has a larger sensor and so theoretically should give better dynamic range and speedy operation. How much better? Is the difference big enough to justify the big jump up in size and weight? Anyone got first hand experience with both?

Thanks!
atldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:37 AM   #2

If these look ok the S95 is a great fun little camera...the f/2.0 lens is great on the wide end...the color accent mode and vivid mode are also fun and creative...
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...ise-shots.html
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ca...le-photos.html
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 12:28 PM   #3

LTZ470, thanks so much for posting these sample photos. Ok, now you've gotten me confused again! lol I had about leaning toward the dslr but have to admit that the S95 photos are better than I would have expected. I'm impressed by the sharpness of the lens in the outdoor shots. Even at ISO 640 the indoor images are quite usable. Cute kids, btw.
atldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:59 PM   #4

Thanks they took after thier lovely Mom fortunately...yes the S95 is the real deal...I am really not that proficient with it...I am sure there will be some outstanding photos with it in the near future...no one makes a better IQ, Full Setting, f/2, truly pocketable camera than the S95...and it also has a Marine Case available from Canon or Ikelite, I like to snorkel so that was a plus for me....also the Flash output is adjustable I really like that feature!
Sometimes I can't believe how sharp this camera is...Flash -2:
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote