Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:52 PM   #21

Brian-

I am a very pleased Canon SD-4000 user. Unfortunately, I can not give you much data on the video clips as I never use it. However for low light level shooting it has been flawless.

For example here is an ISO 1600 photo I took today with the SD-4000. Mind you most pocket cameras have much less image quality than the SD-4000 so easily shows every time.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...3_KdY5g-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 13, 2010 at 8:15 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:35 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz41 View Post
wow this sounds like a possible answer for my question i just posted.....how is the video? does it autofocus during video? any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks.

Brian
It does though some of the users over at DPR have complained that it loses focus easily which results in focus hunting. This seems to be a Canon issue rather than one w/ the cam though as there were identical complaints about the SD4500.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:55 PM   #23

Five0-

The only focus hunting that I experience with the SD-4000 is at almost dark light levels. That problem is common among P+S camera.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:11 PM   #24

Thank you for the information. Do you know at least if it has autofocus and zoom during video? thanks!
Waltz41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:34 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz41 View Post
Thank you for the information. Do you know at least if it has autofocus and zoom during video? thanks!
Yes to both.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 9:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Five0-

The only focus hunting that I experience with the SD-4000 is at almost dark light levels. That problem is common among P+S camera.

Sarah Joyce
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Continuous auto focus in the video mode which I guess is based on contrast detection can be unreliable to say the least. Everything seemed fine when I initially tested the camera just after unpacking it. But now after trying it in some real life situations, I think itís flawed and possible only suitable for certain situations with static or far subjects.
Yesterday I recorded some footage sitting at the table at a birthday party event. When I came home I was shocked about what I saw at my monitor. I guess I didn't pay too much attention to the screen when I was actually recording because most of the time the person I was filming was out of focus because the system was struggling with refocusing other stuff or people in the frame.
Now after some re-testing today I am sure that this really is a serious problem in everyday use. Yes, with my last camera, the ixus 990 (SD970), actually with all my previous ixus cameras, I could only obtain focus when recording started, and if the scene changed/subject moved a lot I had to stop and start again, but at least there would be consistency in the footage focus wise. I searched the menus for a setting where I could turn the continuous auto focus off even though this was one of the features in this camera I had been waiting for, but had no luck.
The SD4000 also had the slowest AF out of the 4 cameras compared.

These are just things to be aware of. Every camera has its flaws.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:30 PM   #27

Well, my experience level with the SD-4000 is still low. But I have manage to post some really good shots. Thus far, the SD-4000 has been a real performer for me when shooting still photos. My husband in a video guru so I don't shoot video.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:31 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Well, my experience level with the SD-4000 is still low. But I have manage to post some really good shots. Thus far, the SD-4000 has been a real performer for me when shooting still photos. My husband in a video guru so I don't shoot video.

Sarah Joyce
And no one is arguing, but it's important to note both the pros and cons of each camera so users can make an informed decision based on their own needs.

I seem to recall someone stating that the HX5V was the best P&S on the market and virtually flawless. This same person later recanted her statements and returned hers. Meanwhile, I was stuck with a $350 paperweight that could not be returned. It now serves as a constant reminder that no advice is better than getting half the story.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:56 AM   #29

Five0-

Touche! But you have to admit that I gradually got a whole lot smarter. Merry Christmas!

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:27 AM   #30

Low-light capable P&S > look no more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yakumo2...7625024849565/
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote