Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:56 AM   #31

Unfortunately, Marawder-

This whole thread has been about the canon SD4000 and it has been inactive for for over a month. Congratulations, on your new Sony WX5 camera. Your posted photos look good but they show a distressing amount of lens distortion.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 5:13 AM   #32

The Canon SD-4000 at 1600 the first photo was not a fluke. This has the same lighting a 60W light bulb overhead on an 8 foot ceiling.
kamilucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:30 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
but they show a distressing amount of lens distortion.
I assume you already know that the image produced by a wide-angle lens is more susceptible to distortion...besides, every camera has its limits, especially a P&S !

I've seen distortion even on photos that were took with a professional 18mm lens !
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:19 AM   #34

Nobody has mentioned the Panasonix Lumix LX5. This is supposed to have the biggest sensor of any P&S available. Like Suzanne I am also looking for a camera for family photographs and indoor results have been my main problem with my old Nikon P50. It also has a technology called ISO Boost, although I am not sure I understand that:
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/lx5/index.html
likes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2011, 6:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by likes View Post
Nobody has mentioned the Panasonix Lumix LX5. This is supposed to have the biggest sensor of any P&S available. Like Suzanne I am also looking for a camera for family photographs and indoor results have been my main problem with my old Nikon P50. It also has a technology called ISO Boost, although I am not sure I understand that:
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/compact/lx5/index.html
A few of us frequently name the LX5, alongside the S95, TL500/EX1 and the upcoming Olympus XZ-1. Sarah Joyce was simply making a case for the SD4000. Although it lacks the larger sensor, it has a brighter lens than other 1/2.33" sensor based cameras so it at least offers improved low light performance - a good option for those who can't afford the higher-level models.