Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2010, 4:16 PM   #11

Hey people need some more advice on this... I had decided to go with the FZ100 believe it or not (due to it's better video and faster shooting capabilities) but it's completely sold out at my local shop (which I have a gift card to cover $500). And they won't be restocking it so I have to buy something else from the shop.

So it's back to FZ40 or HX1 and my dilemma is the video portion. I been doing a lot of research and the difference between the fz40 (CCD) vs hx1 (CMOS) is the CCD suffers from that purple line issue with direct sunlight in video. This is a major concern for me as video is just as important if not the most important feature I'm looking for. I know both cameras will take great still images I'm not worried about that not picky on IQ results or noise or zoom. I'm sure they are fine with 4x6, 5x7 prints.

So with that said is the hx1 video better than the fz40? Or is tree another camera better then both? The price is exact same on both at my local store ... Normally the hx1 is much more expensive. Both listing at $379.

Also faster burst mode seems to be on the hx1 which is another important difference.

Last edited by pbosco; Dec 20, 2010 at 4:33 PM.
pbosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 4:35 PM   #12

The HX1 has a somewhat non standard HD video capability, but you cannot argue with its image quality.

Take a look:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...8_mdQoB-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The HX1 has a somewhat non standard HD video capability, but you cannot argue with its image quality.

Take a look:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...8_mdQoB-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
ya great shot! but what do you mean by non standard HD video capability?

some "better" features from the HX1 compared to the FZ40 are:
1080p vs 720p
cmos vs ccd -- video doesnt suffer from the purple lines in light
10fps vs 1.8fps
faster shutter 1/4000 vs 1/2000

but what's holding me back is the video.. is it better quality, only so much you can take from youtube samples to make a decision. fz40 looks great on there but i really dont want to have to buy Panasonic filter DMW-LN46 (a neutral density filter nd8) like in this article http://www.vimeo.com/7091455 to avoid the purple lines issues with ccd.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 5:56 PM   #14

The HX1 came out in January 2009, so it is not the latest HD technology size-wise.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 6:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbosco View Post
ya great shot! but what do you mean by non standard HD video capability?

some "better" features from the HX1 compared to the FZ40 are:
1080p vs 720p
cmos vs ccd -- video doesnt suffer from the purple lines in light
10fps vs 1.8fps
faster shutter 1/4000 vs 1/2000

but what's holding me back is the video.. is it better quality, only so much you can take from youtube samples to make a decision. fz40 looks great on there but i really dont want to have to buy Panasonic filter DMW-LN46 (a neutral density filter nd8) like in this article http://www.vimeo.com/7091455 to avoid the purple lines issues with ccd.
The Sony HX1 uses 1440x1080 video and then stretches the output to 1920x1080, rather than shooting in 19201080 natively.

A ND filter isn't going to eliminate the problem w/ the purple lines; it will simply reduce the likelihood of it.

Low light photos without flash will be poor with all of the cameras mentioned as Sarah Joyce pointed out. Manufacturer samples are shot in ideal conditions that won't likely apply in real-world usage. For example, a lot of shots are done w/ slow shutter on a tripod of still scenes. Nearly any decent camera can do well under these circumstances but more often than not, the type of person who is using this camera isn't going to be carrying a tripod and surely at some point you're going to want to shoot a moving object in low light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The HX1 came out in January 2009, so it is not the latest HD technology size-wise.

Sarah Joyce
HD standards haven't changed since then. None of these P&S cameras offer the fps in video of a high-end dedicated camcorder, whether they are current models or 3 year old models.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:43 PM   #16

thanks for the input... so what should i do, knowing that video is very important if not the most important yet i dont want camcorder.. i would like a superzoom, i would like to spend up to $500. i do need it to shoot native HD whether its 720p or 1080p.. i dont want any stretching. will cmos sensor eliminate the purple lines in video? i hear it does... should i be looking for a camera with cmos instead of ccd? any recommendations?

hx1, fz40, sx30, hs10 etc.. i mean i was sold on the fz100 but unfortunately that doesnt seem to be available to me, so whats the next best thing?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:09 PM   #17

I think the FZ100 is the best current model 20x+ zoom on the market in terms of video. I would definitely recommend a CMOS for video, although keep in mind you tend to lose some ground on still image quality. You won't get the purple lines as you with CCD sensors and the problems with panning using CMOS are mostly a thing of the past except for past pans which no videographer should be doing anyway. Everything is a trade-off unfortunately but that's how it is.

You won't notice any stretching effects on the Sony HX1 video though. The Sony uses rectangular pixels to fill the 1920 space. The image will not be quite as detailed as a true 1920 image but it won't be distorted. So I would choose this as my 2nd choice for video. I can't really recommend the Fuji because although the video may be nice (and I don't even know that for certain), I find the still images to be really poor, even for this class of camera (which isn't known for it's stellar IQ).

The HX1 is the camera I will very likely get as my bridge camera.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 10:22 PM   #18

thanks FiveO i really appreciate all the info and input from you.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 5:18 PM   #19

Here's an out-of-camera video sample for the HX1. I viewed it on my 50" 1080p plasma and it looks pretty good - not as good as a high-end dedicated camcorder - but pretty good.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_hx1-assets/MAH00099.MP4
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:40 PM   #20

Default Low light photo with SX30IS

Here's a low-light photo I took with the SX30IS. The only lighting was from some miniature lights on a Christmas tree and a 60-watt bulb on the opposite side of the tree from the nativity set. There was no other ambient light. To put things in perspective, the lantern is about 1/2 inches tall and I was standing about 25 feet away.

The camera was hand-held, so it blew me away when I saw this good a result.

The top photo is the original resized to 1024 x 768. The bottom photo is a 100% crop from the original.
Attached Images

Last edited by nwtim; Dec 22, 2010 at 7:42 PM.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote