Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:03 PM   #1

Default which of these cameras?

Been researching for over a month and cant make a decision, as everywhere you turn there is no clear cut winner.. hopefully someone here can convince me.

My main "wants" for the camera is that the HD video is superb and low light (indoor shots). Other then that I couldnt care less about size, batteries, zoom etc

My choices are "
Fuji HS10, Sony HX1, Panasonic FZ40 and possibly through in the Canon SX30 into that mix as they are all roughly same price at my local shops.

thanks in advance, look forward to hear your pick of the bunch!
pbosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:48 PM   #2

pbosco-

I am sorry to say that none of the cameras listed will provide a real life low light level shooting capability. Unfortunately, you can have either a low light capability or longer zoom, but you will have a hard time finding both features in a single P+S camera.

The other option is to go to a DSLR.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:51 PM   #3

OK, fair enough.. but which would take best indoor pics out of the bunch? And the HD video? I think I narrowed it down to Sony vs Panasonic. And judging by this comparsion Im leaning towards the Sony. A lot of the video reviews on the Sony (YouTube) give it very high impressions.

http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/con...y-HX1-Comp.htm
Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:03 PM   #5

pbosco-

Yes, the Sony HX-1 does a fair job with video, but it is much older technology, as it was introduced in early 2009.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:47 PM   #6

Well thanks for the links to those samples the FZ40 does look awesome. But how does it fair video quality wise? Only shoots 720p and avchd lite (not really good for editing from what I read). Using H.263 codec in Sony Vegas which I edit videos might be a pain. Anyone have advice on video quality from the bunch?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:00 PM   #7

AVCHD software support was a little late to the game but it has readily available for over a year now in a variety of applications. The latest Sony Vegas definitely supports it as does Adobe Premiere. The Sony HX1 doesn't shoot full HD either but rather shoots in some odd proprietary resolution. I think either camera is a good choice but the FZ40 wins on image quality.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:21 PM   #8

ok i use Sony Vegas 9, so hopefully I wont have any issues with video editing. On the spec sheet from Panasonic Im confused on the video portion.. which is the max shooting?

https://panasonic.ca/english/audiovi...zoom_specs.asp

1920 x 1080 pixels,
NTSC Mode: NTSC model: 60i
(AVCHD, FSH: 17Mbps / FH:13Mbps )

1280 x 720 pixels,
NTSC Mode: NTSC model:
60p (CCD output is 30p)
(AVCHD Lite, SH: 17Mbps /
H:13Mbps / L:9Mbps) /
30fps (Motion JPEG) 1280 x 720 pixels,
NTSC Mode: NTSC model: 60p
(AVCHD Lite, SH: 17Mbps /
H:13Mbps) / 30fps (Motion JPEG)

On every review it states it does 720p yet why is 1920x1080 listed?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:19 PM   #9

The left-hand column is the FZ40, which maxes at 720p. The right-hand column is the FZ100 which offers 1080i.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:33 PM   #10

Thanks Five-O , so 720p at 13Mbps HD sounds good to me... And some of the sample videos on YouTube motion and night videos with the FZ40 looks awesome. I think we might have a winner!?!