Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2010, 1:54 PM   #1

Default Compact HD camera - Best audio/video quality

Hey guys looking for some expert advice.

I'm looking to buy a new compact camera price range upto 300. I have only a few of must haves.

12mp+
720+ hd video recording
High quality sound recording on video

I go to alot of music gigs and like to record my fav songs for personal use and looking for the best sound/video quality available on a compact.

Any advice would be a great help.

Cheers
sdhelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2010, 3:31 PM   #2

Any ideas guys? Was thinking between Panasonic LX5, TZ10, Fuji F?EXR series or Sony cybershot series.

Any reccomendations?
Old Dec 7, 2010, 4:23 PM   #3

Based on what I've been reading on here, a small camcorder is going to be better suited for your intended use. I'm sure they have better microphones and probably handle low light better than most cameras.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:00 PM   #4

Do u have any suggestions? i wouldnt know where to start with mini camcorders
Old Dec 7, 2010, 5:41 PM   #5

I don't know of HD camcorders for under 300 except the compact ones like the FlipHD, and they don't do 12mp+ photos. If you're ever challenged by poor light at these gigs, it may be difficult to find a >300 camera that does HD video well in such light along with having high quality audio.

For dedicated camcorders, you might want to check out a site like http://www.camcorderinfo.com/.

Last edited by nwtim; Dec 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 7:16 PM   #6

Now considering nikon coolpix p7000. Only 10mp tho i dont need a still image cam, has hd video and also option of external microphone. Any others better or comparisons.

I think a med/high end compact with ext microphone jack would be my best option but cant find many. Also forget my original price range as now realising to get quality may have to spend a little more tho size is and video/audio quality are essential.
Old Dec 8, 2010, 11:17 AM   #7

Anyone know of any other compact hd camera with ext microphone jack?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:01 AM   #8

Here's a zi10. I am using an external condenser mic with an adaptor cable. This is about as good a sound quality as I can get. I'm not really happy with the sound though. Still looking for other options as far as mics.

Here's the tune. It's gone from 230M mp4 > 35M wmv so there is some loss. I have the mic level maxxed on the zi10 and it's still not loud at all with the volume all the way up.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D168806_6645911_03502

Last edited by knuckle; Dec 14, 2010 at 8:04 AM.
knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhelp View Post
Any ideas guys? Was thinking between Panasonic LX5, TZ10, Fuji F?EXR series or Sony cybershot series.

Any reccomendations?
I think the LX5 is a great choice for your needs and budget. Your recordings are all going to be inside I presume and the bigger sensor and wider aperture are going to let in more light which will give you better video indoors. A good camcorder would run you $700+ but the LX5 can be had for under $400.

As for sound, you are not going to get great sound with this camera or any dedicated camcorder though the LX5 sound is definitely below par. You could try recording sound with something like this. I haven't personally tried it but that model comes highly recommended by others.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:15 PM   #10

I can't believe in 2010 someone can't make a video camera that has decent sound quality. I just bought a zi10 and I think I'm returning it. My 9 year old mini tape camcorder sounds better than this piece of rubbish.
knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote