Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 6, 2010, 3:30 PM   #1

Default Best family camera

I've been looking at this forum for a while and thought I'd take the plunge and ask for some advice. Having done some research I don't think my dream camera exists (compact, good in low light and big zoom) so I need to work out what is best realistically. I'm not looking for prize-winning photos - just good pictures to capture everyday life.

I'm a Mum with two children. I mostly take photos of the kids (indoors and out) but also some scenery when on holiday.

I currently have a pansonic FX37 which has a 5x zoom. I don't want less zoom and would really like more. However my biggest problem is that indoor photos really don't come out well with this camera.

I had been tempted by the FZ35 but don't think that will be good enough for indoor photos and most of the time I don't need that much zoom.

What do you think about the Olympus EPL-1? I guess I'd need two lenses to give me enough zoom. It seems very pricey if you include the viewfinder as well - how essential is that? And is the camera fast enough to cope with moving kids?

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? At the moment I'm thinking that a DSLR will be too much to carry with all the kids stuff although it would be flexible.
connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:08 PM   #2

Connel-

You might look at the Kodak Z915, or Z-950 at less than $130. I have an Olympus EPL1, and even as a professional digital camera instructor, I am challenged to get the most out of it.

Panasonic P+S cameras are famous for their very weak built-in flash units. In contrast, both the suggested Kodak cameras have much more powerful built-in flash units.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2010, 4:43 PM   #3

Thank you for your advice. I hadn't looked at Kodak. How does the z950 compare to the Canon SX130?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:13 PM   #4

The Canon SX-130 is a very good camera, but it costs $75 to $90 more than the Kodak Z915 or Z950. That may be a factor for you.

I use the SX-130 and have attached a photo sample for you:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...8_XWFSx-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 6, 2010, 5:42 PM   #5

I'm happy to pay more now and get a camera that will last a few years rather than scrimp and regret it. So am happy to consider a more expensive option if the extra money gets significantly better results.

Some people have complained that shot to shot time is slow on the Canon when using flash. Will that be true of the Kodak too?
Old Dec 6, 2010, 6:15 PM   #6

connel-

I use Sanyo Eneloop batteries with my SX-130 and have found the shot to shot delay is only about 6 seconds. Six seconds delay is fine with me. As the Kodak Z-915 also uses AA batteries, using the Eneloops would also improve that camera's performance.

The Kodak Z950 uses a Lithium Ion Battery.

Sarah Joyce