Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 8, 2010, 1:59 PM   #1

Default Recommendations for a water proof and drop proof camera?

Hello Camera experts -
I am looking to replace my Olympus 790sw and am looking for advice.

The 790sw used to be my primary camera on outdoor trips but I am getting increasingly unhappy with its photo quality after I started taking a cheapish non waterproof point and shoot (a Cannon sx 120) on trips in addition to the 790sw. I discovered that I am much happier with the photos taken with the cannon and increasingly unhappy with the photos I get out of the 790sw. Alas, the cannon is not waterproof, so I don't use it while boating or while raining, and I have to be a lot more careful with it.

So - I am hoping to find a rugged and waterproof point and shoot with better image quality than the 790sw so I can scale back to only one camera on trips. I am currently looking at Panasonic DMC-TS2, the Pentax W90, or possibly the Sony TX5. I would prefer something that did automatic exposure bracketing. Fast auto focusing is important, a wide angle zoom would be nice. My photos mainly end up on the web in various forms (picasa, blogs).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by J.C.; Dec 8, 2010 at 2:05 PM.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:13 PM   #2

JC-

I have also been looking at a waterproof camera. Based on reviews it would appear that these camera stack up like this:

#1 Sony TX-5
#2 Panasonic TS2
#3 Pentax W-90

Currently I am leaning toward the TX-5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 2:19 PM   #3

If you liked your Canon, check out the Canon PowerShot D10. Great little rugged camera.

Here's our review: http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...10-review.html

Also, Panasonic's "TS" series of lifeproof cameras perfom quite well. I preferred the DMC-TS1 or DMC-TS2 over the newer DMC-TS10.

Pentax's Optio W90 is pretty cool, along with Casio's Exilim G1, however I feel the Canon and Panasonic models capture better photos.

Lastly, Sony's Cyber-Shot DSC-TX5 seems to be a real nice camera, but on the top end of the price scale. We haven't reviewed that model yet, unfortunately.

Good luck!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2010, 9:03 PM   #4

Thanks Billy-

I read the review in detail, and feel that you are correct and that the line up should be revised as follows.

#1 Sony TX5
#2 Canon DS10
#3 Panasonic TS2
#4 Pentax W90

The IQ on the Canon DS10 are high quality, but the price is also high. Clearly, the Pentax W90 is the low price leader and the 3 LED lights on the lens mount are interesting.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 1:03 AM   #5

In toughness is most important Olympus tough 8010
Old Dec 9, 2010, 12:37 PM   #6

I will check out the Canon DS10 . How do the newer Olympus tough style cameras stack up image quality wise? I am very happy with my 790's robustness, just not with the quality of the images I get out of it - are the newer ones much better?

Thanks for the advice!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 1:59 PM   #7

Fujifilm has the XP10. I think there is also a review of it on Steve's.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
I will check out the Canon DS10 . How do the newer Olympus tough style cameras stack up image quality wise? I am very happy with my 790's robustness, just not with the quality of the images I get out of it - are the newer ones much better?

Thanks for the advice!
It's The PowerShot D10, not DS10. Sarah made a small error there.

Image quality of the Tough 8010 for example was pretty good, however the shooting performance was another story. The camera was a bit sluggish, especially the shot-to-shot times.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2010, 2:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
It's The PowerShot D10, not DS10. Sarah made a small error there.

Image quality of the Tough 8010 for example was pretty good, however the shooting performance was another story. The camera was a bit sluggish, especially the shot-to-shot times.
The 8010 might be the ticket. I have played with the D10 before, and the problem I had with it is the lens is uncovered while the camera is off, making it a bit tricky to keep water droplets off it.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:55 PM   #10

I feel compelled to reply, because for 13 months ending this past October, I had a "waterproof" camera--Lumix TS1. I have no complaints about the camera itself; it was pretty much as I expected (i.e. was satisfied, if not thrilled).

I will not buy a waterproof/shockproof camera in the future, and it's not even really because I'm upset that my camera broke a month after the warranty expired (basically failed in underwater use). I think the waterproof feature is quite overrated. It is fun to imagine taking it in a waterslide, shooting pictures at the beach, etc. But the fact is, unless you are quite hardcore in your water activities, I don't think it's necessary at all to have a waterproof camera.

I would actually consider the shockproof nature of it to be a more useful feature actually. And I never even dropped my camera, to test that feature!
roaddawg31 is offline   Reply With Quote