Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 10, 2010, 6:40 PM   #11

what about the sigma 17-50mm f2.8 OS? is that not upto par either? i used to use the sigma 18-50 f2.8 unstablised version and it was pretty good - not perfect but good enough for 95% of the time
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 6:52 PM   #12

No. That is not to say they aren't useful. They just aren't as good as their unstabilized counterparts. So a very good, unstabilized lens on a stabilized body is better than a not-as-good, stabilized lens on an unstabilized body.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2010, 7:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
You can get good photos with shallow depths of field using flash, but you may also get a "Velvet Elvis" effect where the subject is well illuminated, but the background is dark (if not black.) That, unfortunately, wastes the effort of getting a shallow depth of field.
what you can do in dim lighting conditions though is set the exposure for the ambient long exposure which will blur badly but if you going for out of focus anyway sorted then use the flash in trailing curtain mode to freeze your subject sharp in the forground
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Dec 11, 2010, 1:34 PM   #14

Thanks for all the assistance; it is appreciated. I'm going with the D90 with kit lens.

Two last questions:

Polarizing filter. Given this lens' predilection for vignetting, should I opt for the Hoya pro1, which is slimmer, or is the standard circular polarizer adequate?
And finally, ordering from Amazon versus B&H? I understand B&H is very well regarded and am happy to build a relationship with them. If I order via Amazon, it's via Adorama. I've never had an issue with Amazon or it suppliers.

Last edited by C.K.; Dec 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM.
C.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 2:14 PM   #15

At wide angles, polarizing filters create their own vignetting. Putting one on a wide angle lens that already vignettes isn't a good idea, unless you like vignetting.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:25 PM   #16

On the topic of polarizing filters, just be aware that with a lens wider than about 28mm (in 35mm film terms or about 40mm with an APS-c cropped sensor) the sky will be unevenly polarized (the wider you go the more noticeable the effect). In other settings, the content of the image may obscure the uneven polarization (dependent upon the lighting).

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:54 PM   #17

^Thanks for the link
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:23 PM   #18

unless its very bad wouldn't worry overly about vignetting as its pretty easy to correct in photoshop etc
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:07 PM   #19

Thanks John-

Ordered the D90 this evening. Looking forward to becoming a better photographer in time.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:24 PM   #20

I had the same exact question you did. I would be interested to hear your thoughts once you have a chance to play around with it!
bbq797 is offline   Reply With Quote