Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I think that HX5V demonstrates the problem with the camera pretty well, even at that small size. The video obviously won't look anywhere near that good if it was posted at full size. However, even at that size you can see all the detail is smeared out. There's no detail anywhere. If you were to post it at full size - the size that one would be playing it on their TV - it would look horrendous...
I posted the HX5V video at full size (1080p). We've watched it on our 58" plasma TV didn't feel it looked horrendous at all. In fact, our family watched a number of other 1080p videos from FIRST Lego League events and didn't see any that looked better.

I'm curious what you mean by the detail being smeared out. Did you feel there was detail missing that should've been there? Do you have any examples of what would constitute acceptable "detail" under similar lighting conditions? (I'm hopeful of being able to explain this to a friend)
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:05 PM   #12

I returned the HX5. I also, for grins, took pictures with the S95 and the SD4000 of two trees shedding their leaves with autumn colors. At first glance the pictures on both looked great. Then I decided to zoom in (on the PC), and was astonished to see that on the SD4000, details were lost - everything looked blurred together, whereas the S95 still allowed you to make out different branches and such. Even though mostly, I'll look at photos zoomed out (and both looked good), I don't want those details lost just in case I need to print.
saurin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:51 PM   #13

saurin-

Actually the SD-4000 is capable of really excellent close-up/macro photo as you can see from this photo:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...77_4ehjR-L.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
I posted the HX5V video at full size (1080p). We've watched it on our 58" plasma TV didn't feel it looked horrendous at all. In fact, our family watched a number of other 1080p videos from FIRST Lego League events and didn't see any that looked better.

I'm curious what you mean by the detail being smeared out. Did you feel there was detail missing that should've been there? Do you have any examples of what would constitute acceptable "detail" under similar lighting conditions? (I'm hopeful of being able to explain this to a friend)
Read virtually any review of the HX5V and you will see complaints about smeared details. The camera is more than capable but Sony has chosen to crank the NR way up - a weakness Sony is infamous for.

This photo was taken at ISO 125 - the best the camera is capable of. I then resized it to 50% b/c it wouldn't be fair to expect any tiny sensor camera to produce good results at 100%. Even at 50%, there is noticeable smearing. I've circled two examples but its present throughout the image. Sony's NR system has determined that the grass is noise in certain spots and thus attempted to smooth it out.

I watched your video at 720p (not even 1080p). Then I paused it and took a screenshot. The same effect is there and is obviously much more severe. This looks awful and would look even worse at 1080p. There's no point in even highlighting specific areas because the entire image is a muddy mess.

Again, no tiny sensor cam is going to shoot quality video indoors but Sony's choice to bump up the NR this high is a poor one. If this is acceptable to you well that's all that matters. However, it is still very, very bad quality.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:28 PM   #15

Thanks for the clarification. I see what you mean and it really bugs me to see photos treated this way. I've been spoiled by Canon image processing and was disappointed to see how much detail (at the pixel level) seemed to be averaged out by Sony processing on the HX5V.

As for the video, I had given it a pass because of the indoor lighting, but I recall being struck that 1080p was being wasted on such a muddied image.

I didn't notice this nearly as much on Sony's new and smaller WX5. Is the same NR practiced on their HX1?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 4:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I see what you mean and it really bugs me to see photos treated this way. I've been spoiled by Canon image processing and was disappointed to see how much detail (at the pixel level) seemed to be averaged out by Sony processing on the HX5V.

As for the video, I had given it a pass because of the indoor lighting, but I recall being struck that 1080p was being wasted on such a muddied image.

I didn't notice this nearly as much on Sony's new and smaller WX5. Is the same NR practiced on their HX1?
Based on owner comments and looking at the HX1 images, it doesn't seem to suffer from the same NR issues. Aside from being slightly bothered by the proprietary video resolution, I am strongly considering the HX1 as my bridge camera.

I haven't really looked at the WX5's images but if Sony has turned down the NR since the HX5V, that's great.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:35 PM   #17

Where's a good place to see full resolution pictures of the HX1? Anywhere other than Imaging-Resource?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 7:50 PM   #18

Camera Labs has a few 100% crops of their sample images. DCR has about 25 sample images and all of them have the full size version available as well.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 8:10 PM   #19

Thanks. The HX1's images are very impressive. It makes me wonder if a firmware update could make the HX5 images much better than currently or if there is some hardware reason it couldn't.

Can the HX1 use SD cards like the HX5 or WX5 do?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:27 PM   #20

Sony is surely not famous for making firmware updates, I am sorry to say.They are much more likely to come out with a new model.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote