Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:28 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
Thanks. The HX1's images are very impressive. It makes me wonder if a firmware update could make the HX5 images much better than currently or if there is some hardware reason it couldn't.

Can the HX1 use SD cards like the HX5 or WX5 do?
No hardware reason but a firmware update won't come. Most manufacturers fail to issue many, if any, updates for cameras. Also, Sony's intention w/ the HX5V was to make it as easy as possible for the mainstream consumer to operate. They don't even let you control sharpness in-camera.

According to Sony's website, the HX1 does not accept SD cards. Now what's funny is that many online shops are selling the HX1 with an SD card as part of a promotional package. It's like Christmas and April Fools all rolled into one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Sony is surely not famous for making firmware updates, I am sorry to say.They are much more likely to come out with a new model.

Sarah Joyce
Agreed.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 11:26 AM   #22

Nope, the HX1 takes MemoryStick Pro Duo cards. The HX1 came out in the Spring of 2009, I believe, so it is not the newest kid on the block, but it is a good super-zoom camera.

Here is a photo sample from the HX1:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...6_582Hm-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:02 AM   #23

Well I was all set to purchase an HX5V and now all this has me thoroughly convinced I won't be happy with it. I could forgive it for having slightly less than top of the line IQ in daylight situations because of the tricks it can do with low-light and indoor available light. But, reading this thread I realized I like to print certain photos, many larger than 8x10. With the NR going on I'm now thinking these prints will comes out very muddy.

How about the WX5? Can anyone weigh in on if it would be better for large prints? I know it's still using the heavy handed Sony NR, but is it just as bad?

(By the way, why aren't we comparing the WX5 to the S95 in the first place? The HX5 is a "travel zoom." Whilst the S95 and WX5 are higher end P&S touting good low-light performance, similar zoom range, and similar apertures.)

Last edited by candlestickmarker; Dec 17, 2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Added info
candlestickmarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:02 PM   #24

candlestickmaker-

I was also convinced away from the WX5 by an Imaging Resource express review on the WX-5.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/WX5/WX5A.HTM

On paper the WX5 looks to be ideal. I ended up purchasing a Canon SD4000, and I am very pleased with its performance.

Here is a photo sample from the SD4000 taken without flash at ISO 1600:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...3_KdY5g-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:54 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlestickmarker View Post
Well I was all set to purchase an HX5V and now all this has me thoroughly convinced I won't be happy with it. I could forgive it for having slightly less than top of the line IQ in daylight situations because of the tricks it can do with low-light and indoor available light. But, reading this thread I realized I like to print certain photos, many larger than 8x10. With the NR going on I'm now thinking these prints will comes out very muddy.

How about the WX5? Can anyone weigh in on if it would be better for large prints? I know it's still using the heavy handed Sony NR, but is it just as bad?

(By the way, why aren't we comparing the WX5 to the S95 in the first place? The HX5 is a "travel zoom." Whilst the S95 and WX5 are higher end P&S touting good low-light performance, similar zoom range, and similar apertures.)
The WX5 images will definitely be soft compared to the S95 but they do seem to be better than the images from the HX5V. The sensor is not exactly the same so perhaps that's a factor. If we are talking 8x10 or larger though, I wouldn't consider anything less than the S95 or LX5 due to their larger sensors. While all of these cameras will do reasonable good 8x10 prints at base ISO, the S95's will still be superior and the difference will grow as you move up the ISO range. At ISO 80 especially, the quality from the S95 is truly amazing for its size.

I certainly wouldn't consider the WX5 in the same league as the S95. While the apertures are close, the WX5 is still using a CMOS sensor that is 40% smaller than the S95. The CMOS sensors already produce softer images than their CCD counterparts of the same size and then the difference in IQ is magnified by the size difference between the sensors. Sony is big on pushing the low light capabilities of their BI CMOS sensors but they still can't compete with a sensor that is 40% larger.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:13 PM   #26

FiveO-

In view of how we are seemingly looking at the HX1 images in a more positive light, isn't the logical question, in what specific way is the BSI-CMOS imager better.

My HX1- still takes better photos than the BSI-Cmos imager cameras.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...8_mdQoB-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:54 PM   #27

Quote:
FiveO-

In view of how we are seemingly looking at the HX1 images in a more positive light, isn't the logical question, in what specific way is the BSI-CMOS imager better.

My HX1- still takes better photos than the BSI-Cmos imager cameras.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...8_mdQoB-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Based on what we've seen so far, I think every indication is that the non-BSI sensors are superior in terms of IQ. I think the Canon SD4000 is one of the first BSI cameras to really do well.

Could you post samples from the HX1 at 2400x3000 at a few different ISOs? I'm curious how they would look as my main interest in that camera is for 8x10 prints.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:05 PM   #28

Quote:
Nope, the HX1 takes MemoryStick Pro Duo cards. The HX1 came out in the Spring of 2009, I believe, so it is not the newest kid on the block, but it is a good super-zoom camera.

Here is a photo sample from the HX1:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...6_582Hm-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
How did he achieve such depth of field with the HX1 ?
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:15 PM   #29

Marawder-

That "HE" as you ask, as actually a "SHE."

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:31 PM   #30

FiveO-

Here is that same photo exactly resized to 2400 X 3000 pixels as requested.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...6_HRYbF-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce