Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlestickmarker View Post
Well I was all set to purchase an HX5V and now all this has me thoroughly convinced I won't be happy with it. I could forgive it for having slightly less than top of the line IQ in daylight situations because of the tricks it can do with low-light and indoor available light. But, reading this thread I realized I like to print certain photos, many larger than 8x10. With the NR going on I'm now thinking these prints will comes out very muddy.

How about the WX5? Can anyone weigh in on if it would be better for large prints? I know it's still using the heavy handed Sony NR, but is it just as bad?

(By the way, why aren't we comparing the WX5 to the S95 in the first place? The HX5 is a "travel zoom." Whilst the S95 and WX5 are higher end P&S touting good low-light performance, similar zoom range, and similar apertures.)
I had the WX5 for a day or two before returning it, so I might have a couple pictures (indoors at night) I can post when I get home. My recollection is the WX5 NR was hardly noticeable at all compared to that of the HX5V. I might actually settle on the WX5 for my pocket camera, but I learned that I wanted a Superzoom first and can't afford them both just yet.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:48 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
FiveO-

Here is that same photo exactly resized to 2400 X 3000 pixels as requested.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...6_HRYbF-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Thanks .. that link still displays a 614768 but I was able to get the 2400x3000 from the album.

It looks like 8x10 at ISO 400 wouldn't look too pretty but I guess I expected that for the tiny sensor. How do they look at ISO 200 and below for 8x10s?
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Marawder-

That "HE" as you ask, as actually a "SHE."

Sarah Joyce
Sorry...

Could 'SHE' tell me how she achieved that effect with a camera that has no manual settings ?
Sony DT 50mm f/1.8 SAM

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di USD XLD
Marawder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marawder View Post
Sorry...

Could 'SHE' tell me how she achieved that effect with a camera that has no manual settings ?
The HX1 has the standard PASM modes so it does have manual settings. To some degree you can achieve bokeh with virtually any camera though, even the ones that offer limited aperture options.

ZS7 Photo:

Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:55 AM   #35

Or even this...one of the easiest ways is to increase the background distance from the subject and this will give you a very good "bokeh"
Not a great photo by any means, but clearly shows a long focal length and the distance from the subject to the background was 5-6ft:
ZS7 at 367mm EZ Zoom Focal Lgth...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:20 AM   #36

marawder-

Cole pretty much answered your question. The HX1 has full manual controls :PASM. The largest factor contributing to that photo of my husband was the lighting and the pre-focusing.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote