Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 10, 2010, 11:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Default S95 vs HX5 for a P&S

I've bought several cameras over the last few weeks and have narrowed it down to two that my wife and I like - the Canon S95 and the Sony DSC-HX5. We do not know which one to get. But here is what we plan on using it for:

- our current camera is the Canon SD750 Elph. We have had this for four to five years and have enjoyed it.
- we are not photographers even amateur. We strictly take photos of family, friends, outings, trips, etc.
- we do use the camera to take video because who wants to carry around a big camcorder. we do have a very nice camcorder for special occasions when it makes sense to have a bigger camcorder with us.
- i am not too familiar with manual controls. most of the time i just use "auto". the extent of my configuration is very light - like turning of flash or putting camera in night mode.
- we have taken pictures with both cameras, and it does seem like the canon has better IQ but not sure if its noticeably more. I am wondering why there is always a very slight orange/reddish tint to my photos with the canon. i think it has to do with the white balance - but then again, i have no idea what i am talking about. the night pictures do seem to better with the canon, but i have to hold the camera just right it seems or its blurry.
- we do take pictures in the evening and at night
- i dont care about gps really. its a plus, i guess - but dont really care.
- we print out pictures rarely. mostly its online viewing on the pc or posting on facebook. however i want to have great pictures "just in case" and in the future if I never need to print or do something more with the photos. after all. memories cannot be recreated.
- I tried the Canon SX210IS and the Canon Sd4000. Hated the IQ of the SX210IS, was decently happy with the SD4000 but thought it did not stack up the HX5 or the S95. My only thought on the SD4000 was it seemed difficult to access the controls, also the camera kept tipping it over whenever I put it on a flat surface like a table. I picked the SD4 during Amazon's deal of the day recently for about $200.

Should I consider the Panny TZ7 or the SD4500? I haven't tried it, but just wondering. I got the S95 during black friday for the same price as the SD4500.

as you can see, i am pretty much a novice. but I know this forum has many people familiar with cameras. so I thought I would ask the experts!



thanks in advance

Last edited by saurin13; Dec 11, 2010 at 2:25 AM.
saurin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2010, 3:09 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,130
Default

I despise the HX5V and it has been sitting on a shelf for months now. Here's one of my recent posts on it.

I think the SD4000 is worlds ahead of the HX5V. I think my S95 is insulted that I even keep it on the same shelf as the HX5V. If you already bought these cameras though, then you should know which you prefer.

I also think the SD4500 is a nice camera but it's low light performance (i.e. indoor, no flash) will fall below the SD4000 and well below the S95.

I also own the ZS7 and while the indoor performance is lacking (as it is with any camera with a tiny CCD sensor like this and not-so-bright lens), it's a great camera overall.

Again though, if you've already purchased those 3 cameras, you should know which you prefer.
__________________
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:22 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Default

LOL them's pretty strong words

Actually even though I have tried out the cameras, I really don't have an eye for what looks good and what does not. I could tell the SX210IS did not look great - but it could also be the pictures I am taking. I literally point, zoom, shoot. I did feel the S95 had the edge in IQ, though the slightly off-color was throwing me off. But I think it was just a setting.

I really wanted to like the SD4000 because its almost $120 cheaper than the S95 after tax. However I am not sure why the low-lights come out so much worse than the S95 and HX5. It could be I just am not taking the pictures properly.

Hence why I am asking on the forum. I realize that I am pretty much a rank novice. So if a camera like the Sd4000 should be perfect for my needs, then I want to give it a go and try to adjust it.

In the end, I plan to keep the camera for several years like I have my SD750. So from that perspective a $120 is not part of the critical decision making. Great IQ, solid video, being pocketable and working in point-and-shoot (being able to hand off to wife, family, etc.) is important.

thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
I despise the HX5V and it has been sitting on a shelf for months now. Here's one of my recent posts on it.

I think the SD4000 is worlds ahead of the HX5V. I think my S95 is insulted that I even keep it on the same shelf as the HX5V. If you already bought these cameras though, then you should know which you prefer.

I also think the SD4500 is a nice camera but it's low light performance (i.e. indoor, no flash) will fall below the SD4000 and well below the S95.

I also own the ZS7 and while the indoor performance is lacking (as it is with any camera with a tiny CCD sensor like this and not-so-bright lens), it's a great camera overall.

Again though, if you've already purchased those 3 cameras, you should know which you prefer.
saurin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 4:41 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 107
Default

I used the HX5V for a couple weeks before returning it. There are a lot of things about it that impressed me such as how fast it is and how effectively it uses its speed to get decent low light photos out of a tiny sensor and smaller aperture lens - as long as the scene is static, like posing for a picture. The reason I returned it was not as much for poor image quality as that it just didn't reproduce colors as accurately as my Canon SD890IS. It added a red hue to every color except red. Reds actually came out lighter than they were supposed to.

Nonetheless, I was very pleased with the HX5V's AVCHD video capabilities and the files quickly and easily uploaded to YouTube without any editing or conversion. This video was shot indoors at a high school gym and I didn't think it was all that bad. It was super easy to shoot and upload while YouTube did the rest (all resolutions available).

It all depends on how you want to use it and how demanding your are on image quality. It sure doesn't look too bad next to the S95 (which is the best I've seen in a compact P&S) on Imaging-Resources Comparometer.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Tim-

Thanks very much for posting that video clip. That is actually the best video clip that I have seen from the Sony HX5 camera. I am another user who ended up selling off their HX5 as I did not like the loss of color saturation when the ISO was numerically increased, and the large amount of "in camera" noise reduction.

It is just my personal opinion, but I see the Canon S-95 as the better choice between it and the HX5. As I would like more zoom, I am also looking at the SD-4500 rather seriously.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Default

I might pick up the SD4500 from costco to try it out, though the reviews seem to be very mixed on Amazon.

When looking at the photos on image-resource, what ISO should I be looking at? What is considered "normal" for most auto photos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Tim-

Thanks very much for posting that video clip. That is actually the best video clip that I have seen from the Sony HX5 camera. I am another user who ended up selling off their HX5 as I did not like the loss of color saturation when the ISO was numerically increased, and the large amount of "in camera" noise reduction.

It is just my personal opinion, but I see the Canon S-95 as the better choice between it and the HX5. As I would like more zoom, I am also looking at the SD-4500 rather seriously.

Sarah Joyce
saurin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 1:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Saurin-

Ideally ISO 100 is the ISO setting at which a camera will produce the best IQ. The challenge comes when the ISO setting is numerically increased. As I mentioned, the colors began to fade substantially on the Sony HX5 as the ISO setting was numerically increased.

So if you have a camera that can take very good photos at a numerically high ISO setting, that is a real bonus, and at the same time a good measure of camera higher image quality.

Here is a photo from the Canon SD-4000 taken at ISO 1600. ISO 1600 for any pocket sized compact is usually a real challenge. The Canon SD-4500 in which you expressed interest in, uses the same imager as the SD-4000, but a different lens.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...0_79FuX-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 2:34 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5
Default

I took both the HX5 and S95 to my daughter's dance class this morning. It looked pretty apparent that the S95 had superior IQ *after* i messed with the white balance setting and set it to tungsten lighting (before that there was an orange/reddish hue to the pics). haven't compared the video yet.

I suppose now its down to the S95 vs the SD4000. I'm going to skip the SD4500, the low battery life everyone seems to complain about is a non-starter for me.

Any thoughts? thanks btw for all the help. I do wonder how so many of you can own so many different cameras!
saurin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 2:42 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
mtclimber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 18,143
Default

Both the Canon S-95 and the SD-4000 have an F 2.0 lens. But the S-95 has a larger imager, which should give you an added edge, as long as you are willing to shoot in the Programed Auto Mode and are willing to make the necessary manual adjustments, such as changing the WB as you had to do today at your daughter's dance class.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 3:52 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
I used the HX5V for a couple weeks before returning it. There are a lot of things about it that impressed me such as how fast it is and how effectively it uses its speed to get decent low light photos out of a tiny sensor and smaller aperture lens - as long as the scene is static, like posing for a picture. The reason I returned it was not as much for poor image quality as that it just didn't reproduce colors as accurately as my Canon SD890IS. It added a red hue to every color except red. Reds actually came out lighter than they were supposed to.

Nonetheless, I was very pleased with the HX5V's AVCHD video capabilities and the files quickly and easily uploaded to YouTube without any editing or conversion. This video was shot indoors at a high school gym and I didn't think it was all that bad. It was super easy to shoot and upload while YouTube did the rest (all resolutions available).

It all depends on how you want to use it and how demanding your are on image quality. It sure doesn't look too bad next to the S95 (which is the best I've seen in a compact P&S) on Imaging-Resources Comparometer.
I think that HX5V demonstrates the problem with the camera pretty well, even at that small size. The video obviously won't look anywhere near that good if it was posted at full size. However, even at that size you can see all the detail is smeared out. There's no detail anywhere. If you were to post it at full size - the size that one would be playing it on their TV - it would look horrendous.

Now the video is actually one of the best things about this camera so I am not saying the video is bad. I am merely saying that the NR is extremely excessive so when used in low light, the camera kicks the NR up to an entirely unacceptable level imho.

btw, if you're comparing low ISO on any 2 cameras, the results are going to be extremely similar. The difference between the S95 and the HX5V even at ISO 400 is huge, not to mention the fact that as with any camera w/ a sensor that tiny, the HX5V has to use a higher ISO than the S95/LX5/etc in the same lighting conditions.
__________________
Disclaimer: I take photos of life rather than live to take photos and my opinions of cameras are reflected accordingly.
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:37 AM.