Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 11, 2010, 3:31 PM   #1

Default Nikon D300s or D7000?

Whats going on guys. I'm trying to make a decision on my next DSLR (I am upgrading from a Nikon D90). I can get a used Nikon D300s with less than 5000 actuations on it with a Nikon 24mm f/2.8 prime lens for 1300 bucks or should I spend a little extra for the new Nikon D7000?

I'll be using it for everyday use, landscapes, wildlife, and definitely try to get some Sports shots in also (Basketball, Football, Track & Field Etc.). Any help is greatly appreciated
ToliverX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:32 PM   #2

other than the sensor and autofocus there not alot of reason to upgrade to the d7000 from the d90 and even then the d90 has a bloody good sensor in it anyway so wouldn't bother with the d7000 if i was you - but the d300s sensor is no improvement on the d90's sensor so if i was you i would hang on until the spring at least and wait for the d400 - d90 should be good enough to keep you going until then

certainly the autofocus is better in these 2 cameras probably not much in it but d300s has afew more autofocus points which might help with tracking but unless you need that despirately for something again wait and get a truely better camera

but when the d400 appears i would expect it to be back to 1600 body only but you do have abit longer to save for it
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:37 PM   #3

Thanks a lot John. I didnt know when in 2011 the newer Nikons would be released. If thats the correct timeframe I'd definitely hang on to my D90. Thanks Again!
Old Dec 11, 2010, 5:59 PM   #4

not sure when they will appear but spring is a reasonble guess and sure nikon wont want to long a time period where people will be thinking of a d7000 when they would otherwise buy the d400

maybe try heading over to nikon rumours site and see if they have any more educated guesses but i honestly believe that unless you have some real NEED of an upgrade right now then the d7000 is just rather too similar to the d90 - you not getting the advanced features or any real handling upgrade just an extra stop or so of iso performance and some extra mp's and of course the only real reason to consider the upgrade the newer autofocus
Pentax Photo Gallery
Old Dec 11, 2010, 6:20 PM   #5

Yeah I was actually thinking the same John. The guy I was talking to at the local store tried to use the "Newer is Better" trick on me. He's right to an extent but if there are few differences between the Camera's then i'll just save up for later down the road.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 7:06 PM   #6

well gotta remember the guy in the store wants you to buy something and his advice will nearly always be biased towards getting to you get something new over what you have even if you dont need it

the descision to buy something new should originate from you because you have discovered that you need something that your current gear cant do and not from a salesman
Pentax Photo Gallery