Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:54 PM   #1

Default Really need help with this!

Hey guys!

Let me start off by saying... I know very very very little about cameras. My gf is the photographer and I am actually posting here because I want to buy her a digital camera for christmas. She used to have one awhile ago but it was stolen and she doesn't have the money to buy a new one.
My budget is probably about $400 so I'm hoping I can get something decent for this price! I know she likes sony a lot so those suggestions would be great but anything will be fine! If you need more info I can try and provide it!

thank you for the help!
jakebake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:06 PM   #2

jakebake-

What kind of camera are we talking about? A P+S camera, a super-zoom, a DSLR? What kind of camera was she using??

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:11 PM   #3

I wish I were in a better position to offer direct recommendations but the first question to be asked is what does she shoot? What is her primary photographic interest and how is the camera to be used?

There seems to be a camera for everyone in the current available inventory but all of them have strengths and faults. My best advice is to be as specific as possible in your description of the intended use and you should receive outstanding advice.

Steve

Sarah Joyce beat me to it (and you are probably better off that she did)

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Dec 13, 2010 at 3:13 PM.
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
jakebake-

What kind of camera are we talking about? A P+S camera, a super-zoom, a DSLR? What kind of camera was she using??

Sarah Joyce
I'm honestly not sure I can try and find out. I think it was actually a film camera but i know she wants a digital one.
I don't think P+S and I don't know what super-zoom is but I'm assuming no because she doesn't take pictures of anything you would need to have a huge zoom for.
So Im going to assume probably just an SLR. Something that is adjustable and can take high qaulity pictures but more a wide range of photos doesn't need to be anything specific. I know she does like black in white a lot and also takes creative pictures of kids (not like family photo type stuff)
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:03 PM   #5

jakebake-

The DSLR cameras under $400 are few and far between. One is the Sony A-230 which www.walmart.com has on special at $349.99+shipping.

Here is what photos from the A-230 look like. This was taken without flash using just the stage lighting.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...7_FyafW-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:27 PM   #6

Quote:
jakebake-

The DSLR cameras under $400 are few and far between. One is the Sony A-230 which www.walmart.com has on special at $349.99+shipping.

Here is what photos from the A-230 look like. This was taken without flash using just the stage lighting.

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...7_FyafW-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Not a bad price? what woudl you say about that camera? if I should get somethign better for a little more I will. Can you buy better lenses later on if needed or would it be better to upgrade the whole camera?
Does it do HD (does that matter?) , how about video? (Do cameras in this range even do video?)
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:56 PM   #7

Looks like a good price!
What are your feelings on this camera?
Can it do HD(does that matter?) hwo about video? (can any slr's in this range do that?)

is it upgradable with other lenses? Or you would just have to buy a new camera?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 5:53 PM   #8

Jakebake-

At that price the A-230 do not do video. The video feature increases the price measurably.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Jakebake-

At that price the A-230 do not do video. The video feature increases the price measurably.

Sarah Joyce
what about HD? not really sure how that works with a camera.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:56 PM   #10

No, it doesn't do HD either. For a camera that can do HD video, and cost less than $400, I think you'd (she'd) he happier with a superzoom.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote