Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
The SD4000 on sale today, 12/16, at Canon USA gives you a 90 day warranty. To really protect yourself you would have to add a Square Deal or Mack third party warranty.

Based on my experience with Canon Refurbs, which has been 100% perfect, you should be at ease. But the extra warranty might be justified on the basis of the logic that says: "If anything can go wrong, it might!"

Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah,
I actually ordered it right after I posted yesterday. I sat on my butt and watched the Gold Box deal go away a couple weeks back, and I didn't want to let that happen again. Hopefully *fingers crossed* I don't have any issues with it. And I'll post my thoughts about the camera when I get it.
roaddawg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:46 AM   #12

Congratulations, roaddawg-

I am sure you will enjoy the SD4000 a lot.

One of the nice things about the SD4000 is that it has a great built-in flash unit as this photo shows very nicely:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...5_SZAUn-XL.jpg

Here is another SD4000 sample taken without flash at ISO 1600:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...3_KdY5g-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 17, 2010 at 12:04 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:17 PM   #13

Here are a couple of Canon SD4000 photo samples for those interested in seeing what the SD4000 can do:

This is a no flash photo: F2.0 at 1/30 with ISO 400:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...0_HofLS-XL.jpg

This is a no flash photo: F 2.2 at 1/25 with ISO 250:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...5_bnJFZ-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:48 AM   #14

Got my camera.

So far, really enjoying it. It is easily the best camera I've ever had, which probably doesn't say too much. Though, in comparison to my previous cam (Panasonic Lumix TS1), it's really night and day in terms of image quality.

Some thoughts:
As said, image quality is very good. While I haven't had many cameras, I do know what a good looking photo looks like. At night, camera works better in Auto as far as I've seen so far. I haven't figured what the "Low-light" mode is for yet, but it certainly doesn't perform well outdoors at night (vs. Auto mode).
Also, the interface is not as smooth as probably a lot of others. Naturally, new user will have to feel his/her way around any camera... but this really doesn't feel very intuitive. The color modes are fun to mess with... haven't used the mini or fisheye really yet.

Lastly, I gotta say that this "Refurbished" camera feels like new. No scratches, nothing. I'm very pleasantly surprised in that regard too.

Anyway, that's my initial take. Gonna play a lot more with it. Just thought I'd check in here.
roaddawg31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 5:50 AM   #15

Default Help with Flash

Hi. I am not very well versed in photography and the terms, but I have a canon sd 4000 and I am having a problem with the flash. It seems to be too strong for the pictures. Photos that are taken mainly as a portrait have white areas on their cheeks and forehead that are too bright and washed out. I've looked through the menus for a way to tone it down, but can't find any. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Shabbus
Shabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 7:57 AM   #16

Page 158 in the Manual explains what to do...the SD4000 doesn't have Flash Adjustment available...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:58 AM   #17

Shabbus-

The only alternative on the SD4000 camera that I have found is to use Exposure Compensation. I have also used a small piece of a plastic milk bottle over the built-in flash unit itself, to diffuse the light from that flash unit, when doing casual portraits, and that works very nicely in softening the light on your subject.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 2, 2011, 4:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabbus View Post
Hi. I am not very well versed in photography and the terms, but I have a canon sd 4000 and I am having a problem with the flash. It seems to be too strong for the pictures. Photos that are taken mainly as a portrait have white areas on their cheeks and forehead that are too bright and washed out. I've looked through the menus for a way to tone it down, but can't find any. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Shabbus
http://www.ehow.com/how_2168348_whit...era-flash.html

If you Google "diffuse flash" or something similar, you can probably find many other suggestions as well.