Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:55 AM   #1

Default ok, ok......lets get down to it.....

ive read a lot, and if you have read some of my other posts you know im not advanced enough for a dslr.......i need a camera that does good in low light.....(we have kitties that have amazing personalities and do lots of tricks, plus the girls playing inside various other inside stuff).... we are avid bicycle riders and love to take nature shots........we love disney world and take toms of pics there.....car shows....sporting events.....etc....so outdoor quality and speed is key too.....

also i figure HD video is available in almost all the high end point and shoots....may as well get 1080p....but im not totally against 720p..

now my first digital camera was a sony cybershot 2x zoom. top of the line back in 2001. the next camera was my Canon S5-IS. great camera...but needs to be replaced.....

i like the look of the panasonic FZ100 but never had a panasonic anything except dvd player that lasted me 3 months.....

the coolpix p100 is nice.......but again never had one either a buddy has an older nikon that he says he loves but is super slow.

the canon sx30 is has my attention fully, but i read that its slow on the zoom, i believe i read that you cant zoom while filming?? can anyone confirm... and also its a little lower on the scale when it comes to indoor photos.....

the fuji finepix hs10 looks nice too but know nothing about them as a camera company....

so i guess in the short of things i want..........

1. speed
2. good indoor photos
3. HD video with zoom during filming
4. good zoom 20x +
5. did i mention speed? my wife wants to be able to pick it up and take photos with a fast shutter speed. she dont care what it is she just wants to turn it on and get a pic real fast that looks good before the child or pet moves LOL

i also should mention that im really an amateur at a lot of the iso settings....i want to learn, but really as im taking pics i have no idea what im changing during setting let alone know how to get that same setting next time. BUT again a good easy to use camera and learn on camera will help too with the wife.

so if i haven't totally confused you with my ramblings... what are your choices for a mediocre photog.....that loves taking pictures....but isint really knowledgeable on a lot of the settings but wants the settings so he has them as he advances?
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2010, 4:24 AM   #2

When people say "good low light" they typically mean without flash. That requires a larger sensor and a bright lens. Based on your other criteria, you are going to have to compromise on that. The closest you can get I think is the Fuji S200 w/ 14x zoom and a 1/1.6" sensor. All of the other cameras you listed have a sensor that is over 40% smaller and thus they won't offer the low light performance you're hoping for.

If you would rather have the 20x zoom, then you have a lot more options including all of the ones you listed. In that case, the FZ100, SX30 and SOny HX1 would be my personal top 3 choices.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:36 AM   #3
Super Moderator

The features that everyone wants:
1. Good in low light.
2. Small.
3. Big zoom.

4. Fast AF.
5. etc.

Unfortunately when it comes to 1,2 & 3 you can only pick any two of those.

From your description of what you want I would look at either the Canon G12 or Nikon P7000. Neither fits all your requirements, neither is perfect, but they're probably the best fit for you trying to balance your needs against each other.

On the other hand I don't see why you shouldn't choose a DSLR.
Quote:
im not advanced enough for a dslr
Even in auto mode it's going to meet your needs a lot better than a P&S camera. Your requirements are advanced enough, and you are too. You don't think everyone who owns a DSLR is a professional photographer do you?

Last edited by peripatetic; Dec 16, 2010 at 8:39 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
The features that everyone wants:
1. Good in low light.
2. Small.
3. Big zoom.

4. Fast AF.
5. etc.

Unfortunately when it comes to 1,2 & 3 you can only pick any two of those.

From your description of what you want I would look at either the Canon G12 or Nikon P7000. Neither fits all your requirements, neither is perfect, but they're probably the best fit for you trying to balance your needs against each other.

On the other hand I don't see why you shouldn't choose a DSLR.

Even in auto mode it's going to meet your needs a lot better than a P&S camera. Your requirements are advanced enough, and you are too. You don't think everyone who owns a DSLR is a professional photographer do you?

well, i will say, that the canon t2i does look nice, i was playing with it a little at my local shop.....i guess i could handle a dslr if i tried.....hahaha, but in terms of zooming.....whats the t2i equal to? i know its not equal to a 30x zoom, but i don't know the numbers to see what the "x" zoom is..on a dslr. and for that matter, what is the lens like? whats it good for? meaning is it like an all purpose lens? good zoming does it have IS,
Old Dec 16, 2010, 1:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryman View Post
well, i will say, that the canon t2i does look nice, i was playing with it a little at my local shop.....i guess i could handle a dslr if i tried.....hahaha, but in terms of zooming.....whats the t2i equal to? i know its not equal to a 30x zoom, but i don't know the numbers to see what the "x" zoom is..on a dslr. and for that matter, what is the lens like? whats it good for? meaning is it like an all purpose lens? good zoming does it have IS,
THe T2i is a great camera, when I had one even my dear wife could use it . Now onto the zoom issue. 30 X just means that the furthest length is 30 times the closest length. So to put another way assume that the closest lenth on the zoom is 25MM then 30 X would be 750MM. Now the kit lens with the T2i is a 18-55MM lens and the two lens kit adds a 55-250mm lens. So in this respect they are shorter than the hypothetical 30X, but you gain a better senor (Picture quality), better light handling and faster handling. Now do you really need a 30X? the two lens kit would be approximatly equal to 10X and a lot top quality shots you see were shot with lengths less than 250MM.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2010, 3:12 PM   #6

great info thanks!! i was thinking of getting just the camera then the 55-250 lens seperate, but maybe your right ill just get both?! im REALLY starting to like the T2i idea.......the cost it poking me in the eye a bit, but it may just be worth it in long run!!