Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:10 AM   #1

Default HX1, P100, FZ100, or SX30IS?

Help!

I am suffering from information overload. I will be buying an ultrazoom after Christmas and am trying to decide from the following models: HX1, P100, FZ100, or SX30I.

I mostly take cityscape shots (day and night) but would like to take some sports and want a good video feature.

Right now I am leaning toward the Sony HX1.

Am I making the right decision?
Ardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 17, 2010, 9:16 AM   #2

Ardee-

Among your selected group the Sony HX-1 is the better choice. The FZ100 and SX30 produce good images at base or very low numerical ISO settings. That limits the usefulness of those cameras, in my opinion.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:10 AM   #3

Hello Ardee

i was confusing just like you , and finally i bught Panasonic FZ100

^^ , and check this website, its may help you

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

Best Wishes

~ : Lonely : ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 11:48 AM   #4

Hi Lonely-

Post some FZ100 photos when you have a chance.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:43 PM   #5

Based on the image samples I've seen, I am partial to the HX1 also. The SX30 and FZ100 are usually ranked ahead of the HX1 though. The FZ100's big appeal imho is the Full HD video which neither the SX30 or HX1 offers. The P100 also offers Full HD but it gets pretty poor reviews in terms of IQ.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:05 PM   #6

My money remain on the Sony HX1.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:54 PM   #7

I would like the HX1 for its speed and the more favorable (to me) user interface, but it's got a smaller sensor (1/2.4" as opposed to 1/2.3") and no larger aperture than its competition (in fact, the SX30's is f2.7). Its widest angle is 28mm while the SX30 and FZ100 go to 24mm and 25mm, respectively. Finally, it's at least a year older than any of its competition and could very well be nearing its replacement date.

What are some of the things that would make it the better camera? I assume better actual pictures, but how does it get there (with apparently inferior specifications) to make it better?

I've been using the SX30 for about a week, but it's painfully slow shot-to-shot times make it more of a scene camera than an action camera. I also really wish it had 1080p and AVCHD video, although it might not make that much difference with these smaller sensors and smaller (compared to DSLR) lenses.

A local store with a good return policy has the HX1 discounted to $350 and I can get the FZ100 at a different store with a good return policy for $420, but I'm getting tired of returning cameras I'm not happy with. The big knock against the HX1 for me is that it's an older model closer to replacement and it only uses proprietary memory sticks. I didn't get much of a shot with the FZ100 in the store because the battery of the demo model died within a couple minutes of handling it.

Any word on the street about a replacement for the HX1? Are there any rumors of something being unveiled at CES 2011 next month?
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:08 PM   #8

Tim-

I find it hard to argue with the HX-1's image quality.

Take a look:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/So...8_mdQoB-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:39 PM   #9

Yes it seems it is a very good camera...biggest problem time between shots and some people are missing shots while waiting on buffer to clear so for Sports it's a no-go for city scapes and night shots should be goo to go...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
Finally, it's at least a year older than any of its competition and could very well be nearing its replacement date.
Many 5 year old cameras are out performing many current models so I wouldn't worry too much about the age of any given camera. For example, the SX10 is still considered a better camera than the SX20 or SX30 in terms of image quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
What are some of the things that would make it the better camera? I assume better actual pictures, but how does it get there (with apparently inferior specifications) to make it better?
The difference in sensor size is negligible - .435" vs .412". I think what makes it better (assuming it is) is that the HX1 is only 9.1MP while the SX30 and FZ100 are 14.1MP. The addition of another 5MP on a sensor that is nearly the same size was a huge mistake on the part of Canon and Panasonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTZ470 View Post
Yes it seems it is a very good camera...biggest problem time between shots and some people are missing shots while waiting on buffer to clear so for Sports it's a no-go for city scapes and night shots should be goo to go...
Similar issue with the HX5V but you can stop it at any time if a better opportunity presents itself. It's not ideal but I found it manageable on the HX5V.