Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:58 AM   #11

Default Camera for Dad

There's no Walmart near me and Staples I like a lot but who knows if he, being 90, can check it out and make up his mind in 2 weeks (for returns). OfficeMax has a canon 490 for $70!! But again, only 2 weeks to try to learn the thing.

Camera-wise, from my reading, the Canon is sharper with closeups, correct, than Kodak? Target.com has the A495 for $90 or so

http://www.target.com/s?keywords=dig...bx_1_1&x=0&y=0

doesn't include card or anything, but they are $13 I think.

PowerShot SD1300 also seems like a good one to get. I don't know how small it is, but it isn't so tiny you can't hold it, is it? I hate tiny cameras and I imagine as you get older a tiny one gets more difficult to handle. As I recall, all the elphs are, uh, elfish?

Costco has this.. world's longest link but seems like a deal. There is a Costco near me so easy to return if he doesn't like it.

Prodid=11595973&search=kodak%20easy%20share&Ne=400 0000&Mo=8&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&in_dym=1&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&Dx=mode+matc hallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&wh se=BC&D=kodak+easyshare&Ntt=kodak+easyshare&No=4&N tx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

Oh and my Dad spotted a Canon 490 with a kit on amazon.com. Think it was $l09 including a card, case, and little tripod. Any thoughts? I did tell him that I think he needs to feel the cameras before selecting one, then if you want to order online, you do. He seems not to do this NOR to let me just pick him up one! So not sure where this is going.

I WILL pick him up one to try if he can't make up his mind but the question is which camera has the best shot <haha!> of working for him?

CU's on the Kodak macro were not too great in images I saw online. I saw a pic of a dollar bill and it was fuzzy. Of course my Dad may be *thinking* he's going to take extreme CU's and then not.

When you get into your 90's it's a bit difficult. He was talking about an 18x zoom...ha! This for a guy who barely leaves the house-- just what he needs! ;-O

Thanks!
Clemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:33 AM   #12

Clemma-

Your Costco link do NOT work, so I have no idea about which camera you are referring to with that link. Help me out, please. If you are referring to the Kodak M575, that would also be a good choice, but I cannot find any review data on its macro ability.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:17 PM   #13

Default costco cams

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

What can I say? It's the link. This goes to a Kodak M575 for $80.

But this one:
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

goes to a Kodak M550 for $90, but it includes a case and 4 gb card.

But, again how does Kodak compare to the Canon in sharpness for closeups or macros?

So that's what I'm finding. Costco does have the Canon SD1300 at $120, including 2 gb card and a case and li-ion battery and charger.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 1:31 PM   #14

Clemma-

Here is Steve's review of the Kodak M550:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...50-review.html

This is another of those 14mp cameras and it, along with the M575, which does fair somewhat better in review, have pixel density problems.

For all my E-Bay photos I use a refurbished Canon A480 that I purchased for $41 on E-Bay and it has been great. Personally I would prefer Canon over Kodak. Such as the A480, A495, or the A3100. The SD-1300 is probably too small. Keep in mind that the A480 and A495 do not have IS.

Here is a photo sample from my A480 in the macro mode:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Sl...7_SzU9G-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 20, 2010 at 1:34 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:59 AM   #15

Default He bought something

Well I was rooting for the Canon, but he at least did go and look at cameras at Target.

Then he ordered that deal from Costco (the link that doesn't work for you but works for me), the M550 Kodak.
I was reading some forum or other and some older guy advised, "don't let him see the price tag when he selects." Have a feeling my Dad went for the bargain.

However, hopefully it is an ok camera as well.

So, guess that is that!

Thanks for all the input. So he will have image stabilization if not the greatest closeup lens in the world....
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:31 AM   #16

Hi Clemma-

I am delighted to hear that the problem has been solved. I hope your Dad will enjoy his new Kodak M550. If he needs help I am always here for advice. Merry Christmas!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:03 AM   #17

Thanks, Sarah! Happy Holidays to you as well! I'm glad he picked something!