Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Peterbj-

The Canon 28-135mm lens is an older full frame lens. It is a consumer level lens, but surely much better than the Canon18-135mm, which has received poor reviews.

Sarah Joyce
I have no personal experience with either, but just going on reviews and customer reports I've read the 18-135 sounded better. I wouldn't buy either so for me it's pretty academic. The 18-135 is EF-S, the 28-135 is EF, and the 18-135 is slightly more expensive. Id rather get the 17-55 f2.8 EF-S plus the 70-200L EF, but there we are. What I'll actually get if I buy another serious zoom will be the Sigma 50-500. I already have a 100-400L.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:14 PM   #12

The XS is the cheapest Rebel Canon make. Nothing wrong with it, but I think you'd soon outgrow it. The T2i is a serious camera in its own right, and I know pros who use one as their second body. But the XS will take decent pictures. A Ford will get you there just the same as a Mercedes will, but that doesn't mean they're equivalent. For the sake of $300 or so extra I'd much rather get the T2i.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:32 PM   #13

Keep in mind that the Canon XS is their lowest price DSLR, therefore it is lacking some features found on the XSi, and the T-series. If the XS is your choice, here is a better deal, with a great return policy:

http://cameras.pricegrabber.com/digi...oduct/sv=title

You can get an XSi model for just $32 more:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...=1292714771875

Each of these deals will give you the camera body and the kit (Canon 18-55mm) lens. The other lens you will want for more zoom/reach is the Canon 55-250mm which runs around $230. A good exteral flash like the Canon EX-430 will be another $230.

The main issue is that you should be aware of what the total package of what you will need actually costs, which is right around $900 to $1,000. For the T2i add another $300. If you are headed for a DSLR, a photography class would be an excellent step. Check out what your local Community College is offering for their Winter Quarter. I teach Digital Cameras in the Community College System myself.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Dec 18, 2010 at 5:36 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:04 AM   #14

There's a local store here that has the T2i kit (with the second zooming lens) for $999 total! They said they sold 12 in less than a week (small town too!)

They were even out of stock on the display model of the T2i. I played with the XS a bit and he took a quick pic of my son and I wasn't that impressed with it.

I just wanted to play with the T2i! LOL
QTsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:05 AM   #15

Oh, and I'm in Canada, so can't get deals as great.
QTsmum is offline   Reply With Quote