Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Default Soooo need help choosing!

I just wrote a whole thread and it's gone-zo. Grr.

I have no clue what I want and am leaving myself in your (hopefully) capable hands! I have a cheapo P&S right now, and take lots of badly lit pics, or fast moving objects (AKA: My toddler! )

I'm so tired of dark, blurry pics.

I'm looking for:

-Ability to get a decent pic in crappy lighting! (you know, like actually being able to SEE my kid when I shoot him next to the Christmas tree, or when he's out shovelling snow at night with daddy...)
-Fast shooting. My camera currently takes forever and a day to take the photo, and of course my speedy subject has already moved on to the next room.
-Nice details. Although anything I get at this point will likely be much, much better than what I have now! It'd be nice to see my kiddo's baby blues in the pics, instead of devil eye! Drives me nuts.

I realize that I am going to have to sacrifice somewhere, and don't really care about size. Price, I care about. The cheaper, the better, obviously.

I have a couple cameras on my list, but don't want to say anything ATM, I just want to see what you educated folk have to say!

Oh, and I should mention that I know NOTHING about DSLR cameras (not even sure if I've ever held one in my hands!) but I am willing to learn. Photography interests me, and I could see it turning into something more than me just shooting my kid beside the tree!

So, HEEEELP!

Last edited by QTsmum; Dec 17, 2010 at 10:28 PM.
QTsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:40 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Pentax K-x with kit lens.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:43 AM   #3

Your is a familiar request that we hear. If your photography experience is sufficient, and you are already using manual settings with your current P+S camera, Craig's suggestion of the Pentax Kx with the kit lens is probably a logical destination for you.

However, if you are shooting using the fully automatic mode exclusively on your current P+S camera, then you need a camera with greater capability and some photographic knowledge.

I would think that the Canon SD4000, a low light capable camera designed especially for those who use the automatic mode, might be a very workable solution for you. The nice thing about the SD4000 is that it also has manual settings as well, so it will provide a means for you to learn and grow a bit photographically.

Here is a recent sunset shot I took with my SD4000:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...6_VWL6c-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:42 AM   #4

I have been using auto mode

I was thinking of trying a photography class, if there is one here.

The main camera I was looking at was the T1i and T2i.
Think it's too much camera for me?

I am going to look at the one you suggested! Thanks for the replies.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:57 AM   #5

If you can run to that sort of camera (don't forget you also have to get lenses, although it may well come with a halfway decent kit lens) then without a doubt do it. The SD4000 is a very good P&S, but won't compare with a T1i. or especially a T2i (which is what I'd go for). You'll have a long and steep learning curve, especially with the T2i, but at the end of the day it'll be worth it. Have a look at these threads in another place to see the sort of photos these cameras can deliver. They're in a completely different league from any P&S:-

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=693439 for the T1i
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=847939 for the T2i
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:39 PM   #6

Man, I was impressed with the t1i pics, then opened the T2i and WOW!

I'm just worried about how long it'll take me to learn to use it. Will I be able to turn it on and take a decent pic, or am I going to have to learn all the settings before I will get anythign decent??

I'm scared, but willing, LOL.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:00 PM   #7

I use the Canon SD4000 as a companion to my Canon T1i. It is a handy pocket camera that really performs. Good luck in your camera search. Please remember that any camera performs better in P or Programed Auto than in the Full Auto position

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:06 PM   #8

Yes, you'll be able to turn it on and get good pics with everything set automatically. I'd recommend that to begin with. Then as you get more familiar with the camera switch to 'P' and start experimenting. You can try Tv, Av and B settings later on, but many people never progress beyond 'P'.

The T2i has the same sensor as cameras costing up to three times as much. And don't forget it also does HD video.

The two dog pictures at the head of the T2i thread were taken with Canon's 28-135 lens, often available as a second kit lens. Mind you, there are better lenses, notably the 18-135 at around the same price, with a much more useful wide end. But you see what even a so-so lens can deliver with this camera.

Last edited by peterbj7; Dec 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:23 PM   #9

Peterbj-

The Canon 28-135mm lens is an older full frame lens. It is a consumer level lens, but surely much better than the Canon18-135mm, which has received poor reviews.

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:11 PM   #10

So far, I think the T2i is my front runner. I've wanted it for awhile.

But what do you think of the Canon EOS Rebel XS?

There's a (seemingly, to me!) pretty good deal here:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....-Quad3-_-canon