Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:03 AM   #1

Default My Dilemma

I want a new camera for the New Year.

I have/had Been looking at the Sony alpha 850...I already own two lenses for a alpha 100 that is now being used by partner. But, not hearing good things about using those lenses with full sensors. And would need to go ahead and buy new lenses.
Some reviews have not given it an A on photo quality either.

I have also been looking at the Canon T2i 18 mp rebel...

or the 7 D...but am confused as to what the difference is between the two of them? Both are great on photo quality.
but different on sensors.
Other question is I have two older film lenses which I wondered if they would work on the dslr. Good lenses when I shot film...oh the memories.
AND Canon has TONS of lenses to choose from. AND 58 mm rather than odd sized ones like my last one of sony h 50 with 74mm...there is NOTHING OUT THERE for it.

At any rate...so i keep looking, sigh.
I am leaning towards the Canons...first attempt at them since my canon AE 1 from 30+ years ago. But, sony has left me 'wanting'...and the kodak is good, but, not as good as either kodak or canon....
so, anyone one have any thoughts on those mentioned?

Joyce, are you out there???? I really value your input.
Same with about another dozen of you, but, don't know all your names.

Lisa
lisalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:16 AM   #2
Super Moderator

For portraits and landscape the A850 is a whole world better than the T2i or 7D, it is (depending on where you live) a lower cost competitor for the 5DMkII.

Add the Zeiss 24-70mm f2.8 and you have possibly the best image quality available in a DSLR.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...lpha-850.shtml

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1181/cat/83

Your old lenses will work, but weaknesses will be ruthlessly exposed by the high resolution sensor.

Last edited by peripatetic; Dec 18, 2010 at 3:33 AM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 3:24 AM   #3

Yeah. What he said.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:07 PM   #4

What about doing Macro and close up, which is what I primarily do?
Not into people, little into landscape.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:10 PM   #5

Maybe will stick with getting a sony, though would like to try the canon out eventually.
I do mainly close up and macro....some landscape, little portrait.
just like my bugs and flowers...
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:19 PM   #6

This is confusing me to no end...about the difference in Sensors...and i read and reread the explanations, which are usually too, hmmm how should I say it...repetitively using the same jargon yet saying nothing...least to me.
So, What IS the differences between the sensors of, say, the Canon I mentioned and the Sony?
Sometimes it is said, 'this is the mossy bit which differs from the full frame of the rocky one of the blue green algae...' yes I am making fun since I can't remember exactly. But, you can see what I mean...to me it makes about as much sense.
Especially when, as I recall, one is supposed to be better and one is supporsed to not work with Existing Sony Alpha 100 or older lenses...this I was told awhile back. So, if I am going to need to buy new lenses anyway, maybe the change to canon wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Super Moderator

The sensor of the Sony A850 (or Canon 5DMkII) is 36x24mm = 864mm^2

The sensor of the Canon T2i is 22x15mm = 330mm^2

So as you can see the area of the "full format" sensors is a lot larger. All things being equal this translates into more light gathering ability, usually higher resolution, usually better low-light performance and usually better dynamic range.

However if you are not printing very large (say bigger than A3 or A3+ or 13x19) it may well be that the smaller format is fine for your purposes.

For Macro photography it's even possible that you might be better off with a small-sensor (P&S-type) camera which has many advantages for deeper depth of field.

In short for Macro photography I would choose a T2i and 100mm IS L Macro lens, a good tripod and a nice macro ring-flash setup rather than spend extra money on a large-sensor body.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:06 PM   #8

Hmm, interesting advice. So, would a 14mp with a good macro suffice? Have a good tripod, do not have a macro ring flash...would like to make an idea I have for one...adjustable ring, to fit my different mm diameters. Seems each camera has its 'own' ring type flash...can't get them all, and really dislike the 'rabbit ears' type.
However, macro is not the only thing I do...and I do want to start enlarging to larger formats...irony is I can print to high heaven all the 8x10 I want now, fairly cheaply...back in the 80's it was 10 us dollars to do them at the shops. Now larger prints are 3-4-5 us dollars to print...and it is the Mounting and Framing that is the killer costs.
Anyway, I digress.
The more I look at my photos, overall, the more mixed up subject media I do...sheesh.
It is never simple...at least not anymore...like ordering a coke...diet, cherry, zero, caffeine free-diet or not diet...
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:24 PM   #9

Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:26 PM   #10

gator and if you look at its snout a dragonfly....cool. Now, this time I wasn't interested in the bug!