Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:29 PM   #1

Default CRAP!!!!!! now im totally lost!!!!!!!!!!!

so today i went to wolf camera to fondle the T2i i have been eagerly telling myself im ready for.....(as a step up from a point and shoot) turns out they arent selling any canon items till they re negotiate their contracts......SOOOOO i looked at a few other cameras and stumbled upon 2 in particular.

when i first came to this forum about a month ago i was nervous of the DSLR world....ive learned a few things since then. BUT in the beginning i was advised to look at the E-PL1. today i looked at it......i also really liked it!! i felt really nice in my hands, has 720p, and well i just really liked it.

THEN................this salesman tells me look at this........and hands me a Sony NEX-5. WOW that was a nice little thing!!!!! it felt so nice to hold, was really smooth and that wicked tilt screen had me at hello.....it has 1080i i guess (not sure what the difference in that and 1080p is) but it was a nice camera i have to say....i was put off on Sony a while back when i had a $1200.00 mini-dv camcorder crap out on me, then got a replacement and it too crapped out. plus i hate memorystick duo cards. well this nex takes memory stick duo AND SDHC!!! big plus!!

BUT THAT DAMN 18-200mm lens is fregging $800.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyway my wife really liked the size of these 2 cameras....she is quite tiny and hates my canon s5-is cause its too big, so these cameras are a fit for her too!!

so i ask you all.........at least those of you who have both or one or the other, hell anyone whose smarter than me, which would be better for me? i take a lot of indoor low light shots.....but also have a huge farm/open space acreage behind my house great for bird shots, and the occasional coyote. im considering one of these since again the wifes teensy hands like these two.

please help a dslr noob find his way!!
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:46 PM   #2

1080i is designed for CRTs (the 'i" stands for "interlaced"). For modern screens you want 1080p (or more likely 720p).

My experiences with Sony are exactly the same as yours, though I've had more Sony items than you've had, optical and others, and Sony durability and service has been appalling on all of them. How about a $4k DAT recorder that failed after 30 months, and Sony said "throw it away and buy another, we don't repair them". Cute products often with leading-edge design but which in my experience rarely last much longer than the warranty.

Canon are another matter altogether. They have repaired several cameras of mine which were years out of warranty, in every case without complaint and free. Ironically the part that failed was the Sony-made sensor, but Sony wouldn't repair their own cameras with that component once they were out of warranty.

I'll never touch any Sony product again. But I will happily buy Canon.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:29 PM   #3

Strangely enough I have to agree with peter. Had pretty shoddy experience with their repairs/ returns but thankfully my lcd tv is still going strong.

I was recommended Sony DSLR and thought hmm no!
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:26 PM   #4

ok aparently it shoots in 1080p mp4 format, if that makes a difference LOL
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:47 AM   #5

1080/60i will be deinterlaced to 1080/30p. For action, the 60i supposedly gives slightly smoother output but for sheer picture quality, some will argue that 30p is slightly ahead. Truth be told, unless you're really anal retentive, you won't even notice the difference.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:10 AM   #6

I answered one of your posts about the t2i and I still stand by that T2i plus kit plus 55-250 throw in the 501.8 and you have a great kit all you then need is an external flash.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 8:57 AM   #7

... and that can wait a little while. I'm only now thinking of getting a flash to put on my 5D, which I bought new not long after they came out several years ago. I don't like flash and always prefer available light if possible. And of course my 5D doesn't have an on-board flash, unlike the T2i.

How much was that kit as you described it (body +standard kit lens + 55-250)?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:08 AM   #8

peterbj-

Take the time to learn how to use a good external flash and it will repay you large dividends. An external flash is an always consistent source of light when you need it. Hence, it is very predictable and easily managed.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 10:30 AM   #9

I'm very familiar with flash photography from film days, and I use it with my compacts (G10 etc). I just don't (yet) have a low voltage flash suitable for mounting on my 5D. I bought the camera for its available light potential and that's how I mostly use it. However, as I'm shooting an open-air wedding shortly I now have no option, and I'm getting flashes/triggers/diffusers/reflectors etc to use them off-camera.

But as I said, the T2i like most crop-sensor cameras has an on-board flash, and I wouldn't see the purchase of an off-board flash as high priority compared with getting lenses. I didn't say one should never be bought, just that it can wait a while.

On a completely different subject. You have written elsewhere in considerable praise of the Canon SD4000. I looked it up along with the SD4500, expecting the SD4500 to be a bit better across the board. Instead I see they're really different cameras, and the widest the SD4500 lens goes is 36mm (35mm equivalent) whereas the SD4000 goes to 28mm (on the same basis). And the SD4000 lens is at its widest f2.0 (the same as the S90/95) whereas the SD4500 only goes to f3.4. In almost every respect the SD4000 seems the better camera, yet it's cheaper.

What do you know of the real-life low light performance of these cameras? I wouldn't expect much of the SD4500, but how does the SD4000 compare with the S95?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:51 AM   #10

peterbj-

I find the performance of the SD4000 at high ISO settings to be quite good. Check out the link below. It would be incorrect to compare the S95 to the SD4000, as the S95 has a much larger imager, though they both have F 2.0 lenses.

I opted from the SD4000 as it was more budget compatible than the S95. All in all I have been impressed with the SD4000's performance.

This photo was taken on the run at ISO 1600, and I am impressed with the result:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...3_KdY5g-XL.jpg

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote