Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:48 PM   #1

Default T2i's lens vs Pentax k-x

As a newbie to SLR world looking for 1st camera, I have decided upon either Canon T2i or Pentax K-X. I really like the video of the T2i and feel I would use it. BUT I can't get over how cheap the lens feels to me on the kit. It feels like a cheap toy when compare to Nikon D3100, etc. Does anyone agree with me and if so can you suggest alternative lens (the lower cost the better) that are built better and hopefully have in lens IS. I also like the T2i's controls. The body itself feels solid, just the kit lens that I can't stand.

These issues and great price, in body IS, etc.are driving me to the Pentax K-X. My only problem is I really think the T2i's video is mush better (1080p, 720p @ 60 fps, etc).

Anyways any cost effective lens solutions for t2i (say somewhere I could get a different lens with a kit discount, etc.) would be appreciated, as would any comments on K-X vs. T2i.

Thanks
jagardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2010, 3:33 PM   #2

If you want to shoot video, you'd be better off with camcorder than a dSLR. You can get better video from a dSLR, but it's a lot more work.

Though the feel of the Canon 18-55 IS kit lens doesn't instill a lot of confidence, it's actually a very good lens. There are alternatives, but they are more expensive, and the stabilized ones are much more expensive.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:43 PM   #3

Thanks for your opinion. I understand optics may be good on kit lens, but they are just as good or better on K-X and it does not feel like cheap Chinese a toy to me the way the T2i kit lens do. Again, I am fine with the T2i body, just the lens feels like junk.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 5:08 PM   #4

Then you might consider the $199 Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM. Anything else will cost more, anything else that's stabilized will cost a lot more, and anything else that's stabilized and good will cost a whole lot more.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:44 PM   #5

for video the canon will serve you better but as tcav said there are easier things to use for video than a dslr even if they can produce some fantastic results

that asside if you go with teh canon and the cheap nasty kit lens, how long do you see yourself using that lens? photography as a hobby tends to inflict a disease called LBA or lens buying addiction so you could find that after a couple months you got a itch in wallet for a better quality faster aperture lens - if your likely to fall into that category then you can make do with the kit lens until that urge gets the better of you

alterntively the pentax kx does give alot of bang for your buck and even for video if you know what your doing it can produce some excelent results - see this gold rush video from ben kanarek done with a kx
http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/41f

well hope i've given you something to think about
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:50 PM   #6

I'll reiterate that the Canon lens that comes with the T2i is NOT junk but is a very good lens for the money. It's light sure, but that's a good point that they worked hard to achieve. But if you want to throw your money away get the Canon 17-55 f2.8. A very good and fast lens that's the equal of many with an "L" designation, but it'll cost you a lot more more than the body.

Why don't you look here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ighlight=18-55 at some of the images people get with the kit lens?
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:41 AM   #7

One way to bring the cost of the entry level DSLRs down (to be competitive) is by building cheaper kit lenses using mostly plastic. That also makes the kit lighter, which is something most people prefer. However, in terms of optics, most kit lenses perform decently (not great but not that bad either). So, personally I'd not make a decision to by this camera vs. that based on how solid (or well built, if you prefer) the kit lens really is. I'd focus on IQ instead.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:13 AM   #8

Thanks for the responses. TCav are there any 18-say 120 lens comparable to your suggestion for the T2i for a good price.

I did finally try K-X and thought it felt great in hands. etc. However I think I might like the user interface of the T2i better. Perhaps I need to look at K-R and see how that larger screen, etc. feels.

Great deal on K-X now, but think I will wait and see if T2i after Christmas can give me a deal I can't refuse (or K-X, K-R).

My feeling about Canon lens still holds. It is not only the light wait but the feel of the action mostly that is bothering me.

Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:53 AM   #9

If you think that action is poor just try some of the Nikon consumer lenses. They feel as if a child assembled them, but optically they're superb.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:13 AM   #10

I shoot the k-x it is a good camera, but the t2i is a better spec camera. If the interfacing with the canon is better it is the camera that is best for you.