Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:41 AM   #1

Default E-PL1 vs. Canon T2i

Hello:

I've been researching cameras for months now, and have narrowed my choices down to two cameras, the Olympus E-PL1 and the Canon T2i. I've downloaded dozens of sample images from each camera, and am very impressed with the resolution and sharpness of the images.

I take mostly landscapes and family events, not much action.

A few questions:

The Canon is superb, but at nearly twice the price of the E-PL1, is it worth the extra $$$?

I've read that the 18-55mm kit lens with the Canon won't get the most out of its sensor... which lens would be a good choice for my intended use?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
FWSchreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:50 AM   #2

FWSchreck-

Six months ago I faced the same question. In the end, based on my desire to make my kit smaller, I opted for the Olympus EPL1. That is not to say that the EPL1 is better, it was more a matter that it was time to trim the bulk that I was lugging with me.

The Canon 18-55mmIS lens is actually quite good. At first glance is does indeed not look up to the task, but in actual operation, it does quite well, even though the mounting and heft of the lens looks stripped down.

I have been very pleased with the EPL1's performance. The .jpeg engine is particularly good, it can go to ISO 1600 with ease, and ISO 2000 in a pinch. Just a personal opinion, I feel that the VF2 EVF viewfinder is such an improvement that, at least for me, it is a must. So, that adds a bit to the EPL1 price.

All in all, it is indeed a personal choice. Both cameras are excellent, and you cannot go wrong with either choice. Merry Christmas!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 9:43 AM   #3

I have a epl-1, t1i and a 60D. The epl-1 is the camera I took with me for a 1 month SE Asia holiday. It has filled up 24gb of photos. And it does every I need for it. The only thing that it is not well suited for is action. That is where the dslr dominate.

For low light the epl-1 is good to 2000iso. And if you need better then that you can get a fast prime like the panasonic 20mm 1.7 or go with the t2i. It shoots well upto 3200iso, and good to 6400iso. But it is a bigger package. But you also get more DOF control with the larger sensor.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:17 PM   #4

If you take into consideration every aspect of each camera, the T2i will come ahead IMO. It offers everything the EPL1 offers (except for IBIS) plus a VF and a much better swivel LCD screen. But, it's bigger and it costs a lot more. However, when it comes to lenses, you'll find a much larger pool of third party and old lenses to choose from.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 7:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
If you take into consideration every aspect of each camera, the T2i will come ahead IMO. It offers everything the EPL1 offers (except for IBIS) plus a VF and a much better swivel LCD screen. But, it's bigger and it costs a lot more. However, when it comes to lenses, you'll find a much larger pool of third party and old lenses to choose from.
it does not come with a swivel screen, its fixed.....

anyway i am pondering the exact same 2 cameras.........what ive learned in the last week or so....

T2i is bigger, heavier, bulkier - the e-pl1 is nice and small
T2i takes 1080p long length video - e-pl1 only takes 720p 7 minute video
T2i has a 1,040,000 dots screen - e-pl1 has half as much or less

there are a lot more things to consider too, but for me picture quality is key, also if im gonna buy a camera with HD features...i want full 1080p not 7 minute 720p.......if the size is too big for you like im thinking it is for me, then get a small point and shoot to take to the places you dont want to lug a big DSLR to.....im most likely getting an sx200-is for those times, anyway.it really does in then end depend on what your looking for..
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:29 AM   #6

Between the two camera, it really is a decision of personal preferrence. I brought my new 60d in hong kong on this trip, but it stays in the hotel safe, as I go romping aroung town and site seeing with the epl-1 as I want a smaller camera system with the iq I expect and the contol of a dslr. So if you do not need very low light and action. Both camera are great preformers.

There is also other things that the oly have going for it besides ibis. It also has the best jpeg engine on the market. Out of camera photos are great. Canon is second to oly in this department.

So it is best to see what your needs are and it will help you decide what is the better option.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:04 PM   #7

Its all about personal preference as shoturtle mentioned-

For me, I no longer want to lug around a full DSLR kit. So the EPL1 is a great answer, and it works well for me. The image quality is great, and the camera really performs.

Here is a easy .jpeg photo sample:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ol...8_NT5Sy-XL.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 2:48 AM   #8

Hi its all been said really it time to go and try both see how they feel are they easy to use. I am sure you will get a liking for one or the other. Good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote