Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:41 AM   #1

Default Sony HX5v

hi guys
i'm looking to buy my first proper camera, and just wanted some advice on good models.
the one that caught my eyes is the Sony HX5v, having seen good reviews for it, and having seen it for about 200 (uk).
was just wondering whether you guys would recommend anything else around (+/- 50) this sort of budget?
thanks in advance
yasin
Y@$!N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2010, 12:56 PM   #2

yasin-

I purchased and returned my Sony HX5. It has far too much noise reduction which causes the HX5 to smear fine detail in the images, creating a "watercolor effect."

In addition as the ISO setting is numerically increased the image saturation is equally decreased, making the photo looking bleached out. HD sound is also marginal and leaves the listeners straining to hear the sound track.

I surely would not purchase another Sony HX5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:12 PM   #3

thanks for the advice.
what would you recommend for this kind of price then?
Y@$!N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:43 PM   #4

Your options are:

Nikon S8100
Canon SX130
Kodak Z950

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:57 PM   #5

Before I looked more closely at the images the HX5V saves, I actually really liked the camera. If special features like automatic panaramas, ease-of-use, and ergonomics are more important to you than close-up accuracy, you may actually really like the HX5V. A salesguy at a long-time local camera store (Cameras West, Bellevue, WA) says it's their most popular p&s camera, and I can see why. Most people I know don't seem nearly as picky about IQ as I am.
nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 6:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwtim View Post
Before I looked more closely at the images the HX5V saves, I actually really liked the camera. If special features like automatic panaramas, ease-of-use, and ergonomics are more important to you than close-up accuracy, you may actually really like the HX5V. A salesguy at a long-time local camera store (Cameras West, Bellevue, WA) says it's their most popular p&s camera, and I can see why. Most people I know don't seem nearly as picky about IQ as I am.
That's quite the understatement of the the HX5V's poor IQ. I posted an image sample for you at 50% - not 100% - and clearly demonstrated the problems even at that very reduced size. If your purpose is merely to print 5x7 photos and post to the web, then the HX5V will do fine - but then again, so will virtually any P&S camera.

And the panoramas are virtually useless at the low, low resolution that the camera uses for them.

You also failed to mention the absolutely awful indoor white balance.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
...And the panoramas are virtually useless at the low, low resolution that the camera uses for them.

You also failed to mention the absolutely awful indoor white balance.
Sorry - I wasn't expecting to be graded on my opinion - I was simply expressing it as mine.

If a panarama is done from left to right with the camera held at 90 degrees in top-to-bottom panarama mode, you end up with something like 7500 pixels wide by 1920 pixels high. I don't see that as such a uselessly low resolution - but that's just me.

As for an indoor white balance problem - I didn't mention it because it didn't stand out to me as a very noticeable problem. What kind of scenes tend to bring that problem out?

(Funny I should be called out for "failing to mention" such a glaring issue as white balance when most (way more than half) of the people I know with P&S cameras don't even know what "white balance" is and definitely have no use for as much as a histogram.)
Old Dec 22, 2010, 2:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Sorry - I wasn't expecting to be graded on my opinion - I was simply expressing it as mine.
You are welcome to your opinion and I am welcome to mine.

Quote:
If a panarama is done from left to right with the camera held at 90 degrees in top-to-bottom panarama mode, you end up with something like 7500 pixels wide by 1920 pixels high. I don't see that as such a uselessly low resolution - but that's just me.
Actually the panorama is 1080 pixels high and 4912 pixels for a 'standard' panorama or 7152 pixels for a 'wide' one. That means if you wanted a 300dpi print, it could be no higher than 3.6". To me, that isn't terribly useful aside from posting to the web. If that is someone's intended use, great - but I think it's important to point out to potential buyer's that the iSweep panorama resolution will be nowhere the resolution of their regular shots as one might expect.

Quote:
As for an indoor white balance problem - I didn't mention it because it didn't stand out to me as a very noticeable problem. What kind of scenes tend to bring that problem out?
Indoors with incandescent lighting or even a museum for example, will both produce very yellow photos.

Quote:
(Funny I should be called out for "failing to mention" such a glaring issue as white balance when most (way more than half) of the people I know with P&S cameras don't even know what "white balance" is and definitely have no use for as much as a histogram.)
Well that's the point. Most people who consider this camera wouldn't know how to manually set white balance which is why automatic or preset white balance is so important.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 5:11 PM   #9

Tim-

In all fairness, FiveO has made some valid points. I got rid of my HX5 due to:

(1) Its poor indoor WB

(2) Its poor HD sound quality

(3) The fact that as the ISO was numerically increased, the HX5 lost image saturation drastically.

For example, here is a no flash, indoor shot taken with the Canon SD4000 at F 2.0 with 1/30 shutter speed, and the ISO set to just ISO 400, that the HX5 could NEVER take:

http://anchorse.smugmug.com/Other/Ca...10_HofLS-L.jpg

Merry Christmas!

Sarah Joyce
Old Dec 22, 2010, 7:47 PM   #10

Oh no, I didn't mean to detract at all from FiveO's points. I was just trying to offer a different perspective that could be useful to anyone who might not care as much about a camera's image quality as some of the other features it offers.

I'm learning a lot more from you guys than anyone could learn from me.