Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:10 PM   #1

Default Nikon D90 or Canon D60

I have an old Nikon N70 (shot film) with Nikor 28-85 and Tamron 70-300 lenses
I also have a 3-4 yr old Canon Digital SLR Rebel T1. I'm looking to upgrade to a higher end DSLR and am considering either the Nikon D90 or something equivalent in the Canon line like the D60. Any suggestions or recommendations? Also, would my old lenses from my FILM Nikon work on a new DSLR Nikon?

Thanks in advance,
Chet
anatfizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:44 PM   #2

Both the lenses from your Nikon film SLR will work with a Nikon dSLR, but neither of them is worth very much, and older film lenses sometimes cause flare when used with dSLRs, so you may find that you don't like using them. I wouldn't consider those lenses when deciding which dSLR I wanted.

The Canon 60D is a better camera than the Nikon D90, but it also costs a lot more.

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 1:55 PM   #3

why not save some money and look at the canon 550d. It is a lot cheaper thanks the 60d and then with the money saved you can look at lenses
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:03 PM   #4

Well, I love shooting portraits; not posed, of course, but of family when we all get together. However, we venture to Yosemite a lot so I also enjoy shooting landscapes and such. I'm retired now and have been shooting since the mid '60's (Minolta XRT-101, which I STILL have). I haven't been displeased with my Canon Rebel but it doesn't allow one to capture in the RAW format and I've noticed a significant difference in pictures on my brother-in-laws photo between the RAW and JPEG images (shot with a higher end Nikon).

One other question: What photo processing software do you recommend? I'm a Mac user and have been thinking of buying Mac's Aperture or Photoshop Elements.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:46 PM   #5

Wave,

The 550d is a great suggestion. Don't know how I overlooked it. Got great reviews at other camera sites. Thanks much
Old Dec 21, 2010, 3:59 PM   #6

hi again I have the 550d its great and comes with canons dpp which is a good raw converter and free. I have also just bought a mac and at the moment I am using dpp gimp (free) plus iphoto11 I am looking at aperture 3 and photoshop elements 9
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:42 PM   #7

Both Canon and Nikon have dSLRs that can do what you want. Have you tried any of them?

As for software, Adobe's Photoshop Elements and Lightroom are avail as trial downloads, so you can try them before you buy them. See http://www.adobe.com/downloads/
Old Dec 21, 2010, 4:57 PM   #8

And if I spring for the Canon 550D (Rebel T2i here in the States) would this Tamron be a good companion?

Tamron AF 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO (Dec 2, 2008). Reviewed also at:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ne...te=1&p=1180642

Or stick with the Canon EFS 18-200 F3.5-5.6 (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ne...te=1&p=1180642)
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:10 AM   #9

that would be my choice if I went with a megazoom lens. It is a good performer with a one lens system. Though 2 lenses will give you better IQ on the longer end and a bit faster lens as well. 6.3 is slow for anything not in good light.

The 550D is a good camera. It will do pretty much what you want to shoot, and it smaller then the 60D. The 60D is a better action camera, with the faster burst rate.

I have a 500D and just picked up the 60D, I would say for Mac, get aperture 3. It is a very good editor and manger. And it is not to expensive.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 10:52 AM   #10

The Tamron 18-270 is a jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lens. It will probably do everything you say you want to do, but it probably won't do any of them well. But as long as you don't print any 8x10s, you'll probably be very happy.