Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:47 AM   #1

Default Canon T2i or 60D, I am burned out thinking about it-help

Ok, my lens set is tamron 17-50, canon 18-55, 55-250, 85mm, 50mm. I am currently shooting my sons basketball games, as a hobby amateur dad. I am using a XSi, but wife wants to buy me a gift..The T2i fits perfect into the price range, might be able to stretch it to a 60D.
I know the 60D has better FPS, and a somewhat better AF system. Swivel screen I could care less, and I know it has bigger better build quality.
Besides that, am I crazy, or settleing when I buy the T2i??? I will shoot his basktball games, and reason for upgrade is need higher iso(xsi 1600)..., other than that, will be just fun, amateur stuff.
It seems people that like the 60D, talk you into that, other who have the T2i, talk you into that..

I need some help!!
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:06 PM   #2

Its going to have to be a personnel decision I think. The way I look at it is this 60d is new kid on the block T2i/550d is a little bit older but also half the price for a body. Now if its the basketball that counts then I think the T2i/550d will work for you plus money saved put it too a long zoom with f2.8.
Have you tried both get an sd card and take some shots and look at the difference.
Best of luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:00 PM   #3

I think that both the T2i and the 60D will do about equally well, but you'll still need a large aperture medium telephoto or telephoto zoom to shoot indoor basketball effectively. You could probably do as well with your XSi and a Canon 100mm f/2.0 as you would with a T2i and a Sigma 70-200/2.8, but either way, you need a new lens more than you need a new camera, and the zoom will give you more flexibility.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
I think that both the T2i and the 60D will do about equally well, but you'll still need a large aperture medium telephoto or telephoto zoom to shoot indoor basketball effectively. You could probably do as well with your XSi and a Canon 100mm f/2.0 as you would with a T2i and a Sigma 70-200/2.8, but either way, you need a new lens more than you need a new camera, and the zoom will give you more flexibility.
Would the Sigma 70-200/2.8 be the best on a budget? Tamron or something else compare?
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:16 PM   #5

The Canon is the best, but it's costly. The Tamron may be a little better, optically, than the Sigma, but it doesn't focus as quickly.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:14 PM   #6

Is size an issue? You might want to take it into consideration if it is. The 60D is a much larger/heavier camera.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 12:48 PM   #7

Mark... from what I've read, the same sensor is used in the Canon 7D, 60D and T2i. So it's pretty much features that you'd be paying for with the 60D. There is no wrong decision. Just pick the features that are important to you. Image quality should be comparable.

Re: 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses, the Sigma runs $799 at B&H Photo and the Tamron runs $729. And, as TCav points out, it's about an even trade off: The Tamron may be a bit sharper but the Sigma may autofocus a bit more quickly. I imagine you can get by the autofocus speed issue (if it's enough to be called an issue) by manually pre-focusing in the general range of where you want to go and then letting autofocus take over. Plus the Tamron's warranty is longer - 6 years in the U.S.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_II_EX.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_Di_LD.html
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote