Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:17 PM   #1

Default Considering T2i from Costco with 2 kit lenses

I'm considering entering the DSLR world with the Canon T2i with these (kit) lenses:

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Lens

Costco has the kit with a 4GB card, mini HDMI cable, and bag for $800.

The reason I'm hesitant is that I don't see either of these lenses as being ones I would stick with, as I take a lot of indoor and low-light photos that are best served by a larger aperture. Funds are really tight, so I hate to throw money into this that could be used towards more appropriate lenses.

Is there a better, more effective way to get where I prefer?

Thanks!

nwtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:47 PM   #2

Ok, is video something you really are going to use a lot? If not I would consider a T1i, body only get the tamaron 17-50 f2.8 and a decent card. The card in the costco kit is not very fast.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:09 AM   #3

its actually $899.99................$899.00 is a really good price for body and 2 lenses!! WOW

Last edited by bryman; Dec 24, 2010 at 12:24 AM.
bryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:18 AM   #4

I have a couple teenage boys that are into sports and would hope to do a lot of action shooting both indoors and out. That's one of the reasons I'm worried about putting any money into smaller aperture lenses. I'd hope to also be able to get a lot of 10-, 20-, and 30-second long video clips to put together for video collages.

We also have a 2-year old mini aussie that seems to be well suited to agility competition, so taking video of events like that is looking more and more likely.

Is there any one-size-fits-all lens that might be serviceable for such use in the $500 range, or are we talking about a much more expensive lens?
Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:27 AM   #5

The jack-of-all-trades-and-master-of-none lenses do a lot, but don't do anything very well. You'd get better results with that two lens kit.

On the other hand, while the 55-250 IS is a very good lens, it's maximum aperture isn't as large as you'll probably need for shooting sports/action indoors, and depending on the sport and the level of play, the range may be inadequate for sports/action outdoors.

It's a nice lens in an attractively priced package, but for what you want to do, you may be disappointed with it.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 6:52 AM   #6

Its is a good package and the the 2 lenses are not bad ones. The T2i/550d is pretty good at iso 6400 but as said above depends on what sports.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:19 PM   #7

The key here, Tim, is that you are on a tight budget. Fast glass - especially zooms for sporting work - is expensive. Example: The Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom is about $900. More than the cost of the entire T2i kit.

But that kit is pretty good (the two lenses will give you better optical performance than a single "superzoom" lens). The good news is the T2i still offers good image quality up to ISO 6400 which can help compensate for the slower speed of the lenses.

In the end, the decision is yours but I don't think anyone can say that this is a bad kit or a bad price - and those kit lenses aren't bad at all. You can always add faster zooms later as you can afford them.

Now, if you don't care about video in your DSLR (and many of us don't), the suggestion of a T1i and the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 zoom isn't a bad idea at all. But when shooting sports, often you will still need a fast telephoto lens. And none of the solutions out there are inexpensive. Some numbers:

Canon T1i body only, $559:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Digital.html

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, $414 until Dec., 31:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_XR_Di.html

You're already up to $973.

Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8, $729 (a bit cheaper than the Sigma):
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...2_8_Di_LD.html

That's a grand total of $1702. See what I mean? If you don't need the long lens right away, then the T1i/Tamron 17-50 option is still competitive. In the end, it's all about balancing our budget with our needs and wants. I hope I've been helpful. Good luck and Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Biro; Dec 24, 2010 at 12:31 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 2:27 PM   #8

This is all great help!

In using a couple Superzoom cameras, I've been impressed with certain characteristics and disappointed with others. I hate to "waste" money, so I wanted to start looking into the possibility of achieving most of my goals (capturing memories of my kids and their activities while eventually being able to take very decent photographs) with a single DSLR and the customize-ability of multiple lenses. I accept that I may never be able to afford a DSLR lens that has the length of a Canon SX30IS, but it appeals to me to instead put that money into a body that has much greater potential.

Yes, I want to be able to take video as well, since I'm more of a short clip guy when it comes to video and I don't see myself putting money into a HD camcorder if I have a camera that can capture HD video with a moderate amount of zoom (I'd say 10x or more - which I realize is quite a bit more than the T2i kit lens zoom of about 5x).

Due to cost, though, I'm starting to wonder if I should forego my quest for a DSLR until after I've met some of my wish list items with a Superzoom...
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:16 AM   #9

Perhaps that's the way to go for now - especially since video is important to you. The fact is, superzoom cameras will still be able to catch some good "snapshot" images for you in a smaller, less expensive package with video capability while still delivering reasonable results. Just make sure you buy one of the better superzooms - and make sure it has a viewfinder (even if electronic). You'll thank your lucky stars you have it in bright sunlight - even if resolution isn't that high.

Canon's SX30 IS looks to be a beaut. Zoom range is 24-840mm. 14mp. It just bothers me that Canon doesn't offer 3:2 as one of the camera's aspect ratios, only 4:3 and 16:9. It doesn't shoot RAW either, but you might not need it to. HD video is 720p. Burst mode isn't particularly fast - something like 1.3 frames per second.

The Fujifilm HS10 is a camera I find fascinating. It works a lot more like a DSLR than a superzoom - in fact, you don't toggle a switch to zoom like every other superzoom - you twist the lens and zoom manually just like with a DSLR (much faster). Zoom range is 24-720mm. 10mp. The HS10 offers 3:2, 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios. It also shoots RAW and 1080p video. It also has a burst mode that shoots 10 frames per second at the full 10mp resolution. And, personally, I think 10mp works a lot better than 14mp with these small sensors.

Finally, the last superzoom I can recommend is Panasonic's FZ series, of which the FZ100 is the latest. Zoom range is 25-600mm. 14mp. It offers 3:2, 4:3, 16:9 and 1:1 aspect ratios. It shoots RAW and 1080p video. Burst mode is 11 frames per second at full resolution.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Biro; Dec 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote