Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 24, 2010, 5:26 PM   #11

if you can afford it then get the better camera - t2i is a great camera but the d7000 will be better in pretty much every respect - some of those wont affect you but there probably going to be one of two where you would just be wishing 'if only'

the difference between the d7000 and 60d is less though for those probably comes down to which ever feels better to you
Pentax Photo Gallery
John.Pattullo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Actually, according to DXOMark, the D7000 has less noise and a greater dynamic range than either the T2i or the 60D
I believe Nikon across the board apply far more noise reduction in-camera than do Canon. That's what I read in a review of the D7000. When you apply the same degree of noise reduction in PP to Canon images they end up around the same - or so I read.

Don't know about dynamic range. I do know the D700 has greater dynamic range than the 5D2, but it also has massively lower resolution. You have to decide which is more important to you.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Pattullo View Post
if you can afford it then get the better camera - t2i is a great camera but the d7000 will be better in pretty much every respect
Of course it will - look at the difference in price!
Old Dec 25, 2010, 4:45 AM   #14

I think the real issue here is is the D7000 worth the extra at this point in time it will come down in price and if you look at the reviews the the D7000 isn't that much better than the T2i/550d to warrant the extra money IMHO
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 5:58 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
I believe Nikon across the board apply far more noise reduction in-camera than do Canon. ....
Actually, in a comparison shoturtle posted here between a Canon T1i and a Pentax K-x, the Pentax reduced noise a lot more than the Canon (at the expense of detail.) Pentax is widely regarded as being the most agressive with noise reduction at its default setting. Sony, Nikon and Canon are usually about the same.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 11:28 AM   #16

I only reported what I read. I've never even seen a D7000, and at the prices that have been asked for them I'm not likely to. I can buy a 7D for less, and I've read no review that doesn't place the 7D above the D7000. Particularly significant for me as I am actively considering buying a good cropped-sensor camera.

But in all of this we're rather splitting hairs. All these cameras are pretty damned good, and will provide most of what is reasonably asked of them.

My decision will partly be based on my current lens line-up, which is all Canon. But only partly, as I have a specific purpose in mind for the crop camera for which I'll need a new lens anyway. But it'll also be quite largely based on my perception of the after-sales service offered by both companies. When I buy a product I buy into the company that manufactures it, because increasingly nowadays post-purchase problems seem to be the order of the day. My personal experience of Canon, over a number of years with a number of products from the same and different market sectors, has been that their customer care is faultless. I don't mean their products don't have problems, but that the company always stands behind them. I feel I can trust them.

I have no personal experience of Nikon but others here do ("here" means on this Caribbean island. Most DSLRs here are Nikon - I only know of two other people who use Canon, and no other makes are represented at all), and across the board they have not had happy experiences. Expensive but not happy. Lens and body failures that the company has walked away from. It hasn't changed their brand loyalty, because like me they're "locked" in by their arsenal of lenses, but it has shaken it somewhat.

Back in the old days I had some experience with Minolta and don't recall any major points, positive or negative. But I have had so many appalling experiences with Sony across a large part of their product range that I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. A shame that what was a perfectly competent camera company has been so tainted, but there it is.

The one major player I have no feeling for is Pentax. I've never owned a Pentax, in film days or now, though several friends had them and always seemed completely neutral about them (which is high praise). I know no-one with a modern Pentax so I have no idea how the company behaves when one of its products fails. If anyone here has a Pentax and has had cause to use that company's after sales service, can they report their experiences here?

Last edited by peterbj7; Dec 25, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
... I have no personal experience of Nikon but others here do (most DSLRs here are Nikon - I only know of two other people who use Canon, and no other makes are represented at all), and across the board they have not had happy experiences.
Canon:
In this thread:
You
Wave01
Elsewhere:
JohnG
Mark1616
shoturtle
waoldrifleman
peripatetic
Nikon:
In this thread:
Me
rjseeney
Elsewhere:
pbjunkiee
Sony:
In this thread:
(no one)
Elsewhere:
mtclimber
JimC
Old Boat Guy
Pentax:
In this thread:
John.Pattullo
Elsewhere:
Biro
ewheeler20
Olympus:
In this thread:
(no one)
Elsewhere:
ac.smith
FYI: To my knowledge, none of these individuals has anything bad to say about their cameras or lenses, or the service they've received from the manufacturers.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:26 PM   #18

I'm sorry?

Incidentally, you'll see I've amended my post to clarify what "here" means. It isn't referring to this website but to where I live, in a semi-closed community on a Caribbean island.

Last edited by peterbj7; Dec 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM.