Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:00 PM   #1

Default Nikon d7000 vs. Canon 60d/T2i (550d)

I am about to purchase my first dslr. I've done my research and this forum has been very helpful. I'm a dslr novice, but I'm excited to learn and develop my skills. To date I've been a digital p&s user so this will be a huge quality jump for me (and a steep learning curve I'd imagine). My main uses: outdoor soccer and tennis games, family candids, portraits of my kids, and a bit of travel/landscape. At some point I'd imagine I'll be using it for indoor sports, but not yet. Will be using the video feature quite a lot as well, but will stay with my camcorder for the really heavy use.

I've learned enough to know that the lens may be as important as the camera itself, but I'd like your opinions on the camera to start with. Although I've read some good things about Pentax and Sony on this site, I've decided to go with one of the long-time, tried and true: Nikon or Canon. I initially decided on the Nikon d7000 after visiting two camera shops and doing a ton of online research, but I'm wavering on that decision. I worry a bit that I'd be "over-buying" and spending more money than I really have to for what I realistically need. Maybe the Canon T2i would be enough for my purposes.

I have always used Canons so the familiarity of the controls and the swivel LCD initially attracted me to the Canon 60d. However, between the 60d and the d7000, I think I'd pay the little bit extra to get the camera that most everyone I've talked to feels is the slightly superior one - the d7000. But what about the T2i? I know it isn't as advanced as the d7000, but it's also a huge step down in cost and maybe that's all I need. Since I'm a beginner, I'm finding it really hard to look at the specs, read reviews, and make an informed decision when I have almost no experience under my belt. It was the fps of the d7000 as well as the image quality and AF capabilities that initially swayed me in that direction, but am I just wanting the newest and greatest thing when my inexperienced eye wouldn't know the difference? My problem may be that I WANT the d7000, but worry that the T2i is the smarter move since it costs so much less and may fulfill my needs. Is it ridiculous for a beginner to start with the d7000? Is the T2i a better starting point for me? Anything else I need to be thinking about?

Thanks in advance!!
Houston2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2010, 3:12 AM   #2

Hi and welcome Its always difficult to say get this one or get that one. the canon T2i/550d will do all you want and by far is the cheapest option. From that point of view you can use the money saved to get another lens.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 5:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
Hi and welcome Its always difficult to say get this one or get that one. the canon T2i/550d will do all you want and by far is the cheapest option. From that point of view you can use the money saved to get another lens.
Yeah. That.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 7:22 AM   #4

Geesh, i was in the same boat a couple weeks ago. Only i was tossing the sony and the d7000 around. I was conserned about fps. as i feel this will be an asset to me.

I went and shopped the stores looking for the best deal and scored to 7000 with 18-105 and the 55-300 for $1600. I dont know what the canon comparison pricing would be but i thought this was a fair deal...

Im a novice as well ......

Leon
movingviolation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 8:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingviolation View Post
... I went and shopped the stores looking for the best deal and scored to 7000 with 18-105 and the 55-300 for $1600. ...
That sounds like an excellent deal. Good luck with it.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:06 AM   #6

Thanks everyone. Leon, that is an amazing deal on the d7000! Wish I could find the same. Sure would make my decision easier. The camera stores here in Houston have long waiting lists for the d7000. I'd be purchasing the d7000 online if I go that route. The best deal I've found for the d7000 with the 18-105 and the 70-300 vr is $1878.
Houston2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:51 AM   #7

That deal for the D7000 kit sounds very good!

In the OP's position I wouldn't hesitate - I'd go for the T2i. IQ from that will be at least the equal of the D7000, it just doesn't have all the gongs and bells of the Nikon, but for the massive price difference you wouldn't expect that. He can add to his lens line up relatively cheaply from Canon, whereas Nikon lenses tend to be horribly expensive for decent ones. And their horrible ones are truly horrible.

That's assuming his main priority is still photography. If he's interested in video then by far the best of those three is the 60D.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
In the OP's position I wouldn't hesitate - I'd go for the T2i. IQ from that will be at least the equal of the D7000, ...
Actually, according to DXOMark, the D7000 has less noise and a greater dynamic range than either the T2i or the 60D.

Quote:
He can add to his lens line up relatively cheaply from Canon, whereas Nikon lenses tend to be horribly expensive for decent ones. And their horrible ones are truly horrible.
Both Canon and Nikon make lenses with varying levels of quality and at different prices, but in general, equivalent lenses are priced similarly.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:51 PM   #9

I wonder does Nikon let American's buy from Canada and still do warranty? I bought mine from Henry's Camera.... you may be able to score the same deal if so.
movingviolation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2010, 1:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Nikon lenses tend to be horribly expensive for decent ones. And their horrible ones are truly horrible.
Not really true. At least not with the current set of lenses. In the film days, I would tend to agree with this statement. With the newer lenses, the kit, and consumer grade lenses are really pretty good lenses, and a great value, especially when purchased with the camera body. They are sharp, and lightweight. Aside from build quality(which is true with any consumer grade lens, not just nikon) there is really nothing to complain about. Unless you shoot primarily with primes, there is nothing really missing in the Nikon lineup at any price (cheap or expensive). When you add in 3rd party lenses, it gets even better. As TC said, comparable lenses are typically priced comparably.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote