Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:05 AM   #1

Default Nikon D3100 vs. Canon 550D

Hey guys! I am gonna get my first DSLR. I have narrowed my choices down to the D3100 and the Rebel T2i. Which one of the two would you recommend?

Thanks
Kaushik
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:15 AM   #2

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:22 AM   #3

I am an amateur photographer. I will mostly be shooting portraits and landscape.
Old Dec 26, 2010, 7:44 AM   #4

Portraiture usually takes advantage of large aperture lenses to isolate the subject from the background by using a shallow depth of field. While any lens can be used to shoot portraits of one sort or another, and while Canon and Nikon both have good selections of appropriate lenses, the number of lenses that will autofocus on the Nikon D3100 is lean.

In most other respects, the two are a lot alike for what you want to do.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:01 AM   #5

Hi and welcome if you haven't done so already then go and try both it may make your decision easier
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Portraiture usually takes advantage of large aperture lenses to isolate the subject from the background by using a shallow depth of field. While any lens can be used to shoot portraits of one sort or another, and while Canon and Nikon both have good selections of appropriate lenses, the number of lenses that will autofocus on the Nikon D3100 is lean.

In most other respects, the two are a lot alike for what you want to do.
Let me recommend a very nice web utility: http://dpanswers.com/roztr/lens_finder.php

Select the kind of lens you are interested in for the D3100, select Nikon and check the box to restrict search to lenses with built-in focus motor (Nikon only), and see if you consider the number of available lenses "lean." My guess is that you will have no trouble finding an excellent lens that fits your budget and requirement, no matter what you are trying to shoot with the D3100.

Virtually the only thing that I can relate to in TCav's oft-repeated point here is if you want to buy used lenses for your camera. Then, assuming you are not looking for a macro lens (which will pretty much have to be manually focused anyway), you will find a lot of old lenses that are available at good prices but that will have the disadvantage of not autofocusing on your camera. Otherwise, you will have a lot of good choices in new lenses for any desired purpose. The reality is that you are more constrained with FX cameras for lens choices than you are with the Nikon cameras that lack in-camera focus motors. But no-one feels the need to warn people away from FX cameras because of this, and rightfully not.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclune View Post
... The reality is that you are more constrained with FX cameras for lens choices than you are with the Nikon cameras that lack in-camera focus motors. But no-one feels the need to warn people away from FX cameras because of this, ...
I do.

It's especially important in that instance, because, in addition to the fact that there are fewer FX lenses than APS-C lenses, they are bigger, heavier, and more expensive.

And if you're going to narrow your lens selection down to the ones that will AF on a D3100, then you might as well look at Sony as well. Sony Alphas have as large a selection of lenses as the D3100, and they're all stabilized as well.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 27, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:42 AM   #8

I am really confused guys. I am going to be ordering my camera within 2 days. I have narrowed it down to the Nikon D3100 and the Canon 500D. I will not be shooting video at all. All I am concerned about is image quality. The Nikon edges the Canon out on High ISO performance but it does not have bracketing. All advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kaushik
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:10 AM   #9

I have the same dilemma, very confused. Also my first DSLR although I used film years ago. Try dpreview.com and on the conclusion page you can compare their ratings of various cameras. They rate the jpegs of the Canon as better. Also, they rate the Canon as being "mid level" and the Nikon as "entry level". I am a beginner, so it seems the bracketing might be important to me which favors the Canon. CNET rated both as good entry level cameras. What is even more confusing is that some think the Pentax KX is better than both and it is quite a bit cheaper. Take what I say with a grain of salt because this is all new to me. Please post what you decide.
RayJayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 11:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJayR View Post
I have the same dilemma, very confused. Also my first DSLR although I used film years ago. Try dpreview.com and on the conclusion page you can compare their ratings of various cameras. They rate the jpegs of the Canon as better. Also, they rate the Canon as being "mid level" and the Nikon as "entry level". I am a beginner, so it seems the bracketing might be important to me which favors the Canon. CNET rated both as good entry level cameras. What is even more confusing is that some think the Pentax KX is better than both and it is quite a bit cheaper. Take what I say with a grain of salt because this is all new to me. Please post what you decide.
Thanks for your opinion mate . I am leaning towards the Canon 500D. It costs lesser than the 550D and also video isn't an important thing for me. The thing is once I choose a brand I will pretty much stay with the same brand for a long time as I can't be investing on lenses in each brand. In http://cameralabs.com the 500D has been categorised as a mid-range DSLR whereas the D3100 has been categorised as an entry level SLR.