Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which one would you recommend for a complete DSLR beginner??
Nikon D3100 3 30.00%
Canon EOS 1000D 0 0%
Canon EOS 550D 6 60.00%
Other 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:32 AM   #1

Default Canon EOS 1000D/550D or Nikon D3100??

Hey,

I am a first time DSLR camera buyer, and I haven't looked at one before. I have been interested in "practical" photography using my compact digital camera for about a year. By practical, I mean that I don't know what many of the terms mean e.g. IOS, and similar terms.

My budget is about 500 GBP including lens.

Currently, I have found 3 models which I am interested in:
- Canon EOS 1000D
- Canon EOS 500D
- Nikon D3100

All the reviews that I have read have said that the Nikon is the better one, especially for beginners like me, but I am worried that it is too basic, and once I start to develop as a photographer, it won't be able to keep up.

Which one out of the three would you buy / recommend? Are there any others that you would recommend?

Please ignore the 550D in the title, as subsequent research has sown that it is out of my price range of up to 500 GBP (800ish USD)

Thanks in advance,
Chris, UK

Last edited by kartingchris; Dec 28, 2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: The 550D is a little out of my price range.
kartingchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:49 AM   #2

The 550D would be my pick for your first dslr. It is a very good low light camera, with a good AF system. And can shoot a EV bracket that the D3100 can not. Which it very useful for jpeg shooters.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 9:55 AM   #3

Chris-

As your DSLR camera is your major investment, just purchase the body and the kit lens initially. Then, as you progressively develop your photography skills, add the lens that you need. One of your first steps will be learning and perfecting those photo skills, a good camera is a major assist in acquiring those skills.

In my personal opinion, the Canon T2i/550D camera is the clear choice, and well up to the job.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:10 AM   #4

I think that the 550D is a little out of my price range, at about 650 GBP. Would the 500D be a good alternative?
kartingchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:17 AM   #5

Yes the 500D will be a good choice as well. It just does not shoot HD video as well as the 550D, but on the photo side, it is just as good.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:27 AM   #6

I would suggest a trip to a shop and look at them IHMO the t2i/550d would be the better choice I think it is laid out a bit better than the 500d. As the sales are coming up it maybe possible to get the 550d a bit cheaper I have just seen it on camerabox for 609.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2010, 3:02 PM   #7

Hi kartingchris, I would suggest the Pentax k-x or k-r. k-r is right up there with t2i and k-x is prob the best entry level dslr.k-r would b a mid-level dslr and both should fit your budget.However I would further suggest that U actually hold/handle all your choices b4 making your final decision.
Fayyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:29 PM   #8

i am also shopping for entry level dSLR. At i have these 3 cameras in my wish list. I watched a lot of video review and it seems like D3100 is the one! It is easier to use and it's cheap! So yeah i would say d3100

p.s.
i have absolutely no experience in professional digital photography

never even held one
idenny is offline   Reply With Quote